Ford’s new car will force you to obey the speed limitThe car Manufacturer, Ford is introducing what it calls Intelligent Speed Limiter technology on its newest edition of its S-Max cars.This is obviously for those people who are speed demons who can’t keep their gas pedals off the metal:The technology enhances the vehicle’s cruise control capabilities with cameras that are able to recognize posted speed limits.The driver can specify a top speed to ensure they’re never accidentally speeding, but when the system is switched on it uses a dashboard-mounted camera to keep an eye on road signs with posted speed limits to automatically increase or decrease the vehicle’s allowed top speed accordinglyIf the vehicle happens to exceed the set speed limit, like when picking up speed driving down a hill, an audible warning alarm is triggered and the vehicle’s engine stops getting fuel until it slows down enough.It’s a smoother response than automatically slamming on the brakes which can be jarring to the passengers and other vehicles on the road.At any time the driver can override the system by just tapping the accelerator, but at that point they’ll have to deal with the stresses of ensuring they’re not speeding.“The system does not apply the brakes but smoothly controls engine torque by electronically adjusting the amount of fuel delivered,” the company said in a press release.The technology seems to be a step in the direction of the driverless car, also known as an autonomous car.
All on- and off-campus University-related events, excluding academic performances and intercollegiate games, will be canceled from March 11 to 29, according to an email sent by Provost Charles Zukoski to the USC community. Springfest, which has traditionally been held at McCarthy Quad, had been looking to shift its venue to the Coliseum since 2017 due to increased attendance. “In accordance with University policy, we are sad to announce that Springfest 2020 scheduled for March 28 is canceled due to concerns regarding COVID-19,” Concerts Committee said in the statement. “We are proud to take the health and safety of our students seriously, and are grateful to all our partners, artist teams, and the LA Memorial Coliseum for understanding.” Concerts Committee, which had not yet released a complete lineup of artists, announced earlier this month that student performers would include Kyle Lux, Ayoni, Ashes to Amber, Kid Hastings and Ayse. The headliner was never announced. However, in the past, Springfest featured headliners such as Diplo, Trippie Redd, 2 Chainz and Playboi Carti. Co-directors of Concerts Committee Leila Kashfi and Chris Begler said they are actively looking to bring back programming to the community this semester, should the circumstances change. Kashfi and Begler said the committee will redirect the Springfest budget to another program if University policy allows. People who purchased guest passes and pre-ordered merchandise will receive refunds, the committee announced in a statement released on its Instagram Tuesday. Springfest has been canceled due to concerns of the spread of coronavirus. The annual University-affiliated concert, hosted by USC Concerts Committee, was to be held at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum March 28. Springfest was previously canceled in 2017 during hip-hop trio Migos’ performance as McCarthy Quad exceeded capacity, leading to trampling, the involvement of the Los Angeles Fire Department and a student’s hospitalization. This year, Concerts Committee also announced Springfest would include an additional stage for student talent and guest ticketing for non-USC attendees, along with extending Fryft hours to accommodate student transportation to and from the venue.