Joe Schmidt: Important for Simon Zebo to play full-back against England

first_img Ireland boss Schmidt has opted to field Zebo at full-back ahead of regular starter Kearney in Saturday’s final World Cup warm-up at Twickenham. Kearney has suffered a bruised knee but trained fully and was available for selection for the England clash. “We just felt it was important to get Simon a little bit more time at full-back once we decided he was going to cover full-back for us,” said Schmidt. “Rob Kearney has a bruise on his knee but he trained fully and we could have picked him.” Ireland have wheeled out the big guns to face England, all barring Kearney and Cian Healy, neither frontline star risked with the World Cup opener against Canada on September 19 hurtling into view. Healy has finally returned to full training after battling to recover from neck surgery in May, but Schmidt has handed the loosehead prop extra time to hit top speed. Ireland’s Kiwi boss believes Keith Earls would have been ready for action had he been required this weekend, despite suffering concussion in last Saturday’s 16-10 Dublin defeat to Wales. Luke Fitzgerald was also available for selection, but Schmidt opted instead to hand Ulster’s Darren Cave the final seat on the bench for the England trip. “Keith (Earls) has completed his return to play protocols thus far, so we’d expect that he would probably have been fit to be selected,” said Schmidt. “But the thing with Keith and what we’re trying to do with balance at the moment, there are some guys that play really well fresh and others that need to get a bit more a game rhythm, and Keith’s had a couple of outings. Joe Schmidt insists Simon Zebo must feature at full-back against England to be ready to deputise for Rob Kearney at the World Cup. “In the first game in the Millennium I thought he looked super-sharp, so to have him fresh where there’s a small degree of doubt then it just made sense. “Luke (Fitzgerald) trained fully through the week, did a little bit of contact today, no problem. He would be fully-fit, but he’s had two starts already. “We wanted to give Simon another run at full-back, and Dave Kearney and Tommy Bowe again on the wings. “We thought about putting maybe Luke or Rob Kearney on the bench, but Darren Cave is the other guy who has had the least amount of game-time so it was good to get Darren into the group as well. “Because with Jared (Payne) and Robbie (Henshaw) we can always drop someone else back to full-back, they’ve slotted in pretty seamlessly in amongst it at training this week.” Despite reuniting first-choice lock combination Paul O’Connell and Devin Toner, Schmidt admitted Ulster’s Iain Henderson and Donnacha Ryan are pushing the engine-room argument to the limit. “Iain’s had two full games so far, Dev has had a cameo really by comparison,” said Schmidt. “I did probably try to muscle the skipper out to be honest, but he wasn’t for budging! “He felt he needed another game. “It was good to get that combination back together again with Dev and Paul, they’ve served us really well together in the last two Six Nations. “And Iain has given us the right sort of headache, without a doubt. “It wasn’t a form selection: it was a balance of game time and opportunity, so that we’ve got as many guys as ready to hit the ground running as possible in two weeks’ time.” Press Associationlast_img read more

New York Mets to hold preseason workout in the Carrier Dome

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ The New York Mets will hold their final preseason workout at the Carrier Dome on March 26, the Syracuse Mets announced Tuesday. It will run from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m., and it will be free for all fans to attend. Pete Sala, Syracuse University’s Vice President and Chief Facilities Officer, called it a “first-of-its-kind experience” in a statement.This is the first year of Syracuse’s Triple-A baseball team being affiliated as the top minor league club of the New York Mets. Previously, Syracuse had been named the Chiefs and been the top-feeder team of the Washington Nationals. “This extraordinary event will kick off our wonderful partnership with Onondaga County,” New York Mets COO Jeff Wilpon said in a statement. “We are thrilled the Syracuse community will have a chance to connect with our players up close and personal.”Notable New York Mets scheduled to be in Syracuse for the workout are starting pitchers Jacob deGrom and Noah Syndergaard and second baseman Robinson Cano. Tim Tebow, the former NFL quarterback, is also in the Mets’ organization, but was not mentioned in the release.According to the release, the New York Mets will take batting and infield practice while pitchers partake in their bullpen sessions on the Dome turf. The mascot, Mr. Met, will also be in attendance. AdvertisementThis is placeholder text“This is huge,” Syracuse Mets general manager Jason Smorol said in the release. “The New York Mets have made a real commitment to our community and bringing the team to the Dome really cements that. I can’t wait for our local fans to see deGrom, Canó, Syndergaard and the rest of the Major League Club.” Published on March 12, 2019 at 1:23 pm Contact Billy: [email protected] | @Wheyen3center_img Commentslast_img read more

Rural residents near High Level evacuated due to industrial fire

first_imgEvacuations in place for #HighLevel as third critical alert issued for yet another #Alberta wildfire https://t.co/AXsWbsFUMF— The Weather Network (@weathernetwork) May 4, 2016Residents affected are told to evacuate immediately, and follow the directions of local authorities. Evacuees are going to the Reception Centre, located at the Town of High Level office to register and receive further instruction.The Facebook page for Mackenzie County will be updated with more information.Advertisement UPDATE:  There are reports the fire is now under control.  Read more here:UPDATE: Serious fire on Alexis Nakota Sioux Nation under control #gpab #yeg #highprairie https://t.co/7IPGl7XhJP pic.twitter.com/MuyaZFegyO— 2day FM GP Newsroom (@2dayFMNewsGP) May 5, 2016ORIGINAL POST:- Advertisement -HIGH LEVEL, A.B. — An evacuation order has been issued for the High level area, as the result of an out of control fire in the Norbord yard.The mandatory order affects rural residents south of High Level between Bushe Reserve and Highway 35.Advertisementlast_img read more