CroatiaEurope – Central Asia Activities in the fieldReports and statisticsMedia independence RSF_en RSF and 60 other organisations call for an EU anti-SLAPP directive The group made the call as it released a report highlighting government interference at HRT as a key challenge to media freedom and media independence in Croatia, pointing to mass staff restructuring and paradigmatic programming change as evidence of “an attempt by the outgoing government to assert control over HRT for its own means”.Croatia’s Parliament, then led by a barely one-month-old coalition between the right-leaning HDZ and the centrist Most party, fired HRT’s director-general in March 2016 and appointed an acting director who proceeded to demote or reassign approximately 70 journalists and editors as part of what critics have called an ideologically driven “purge”. In July, the HDZ-Most government amended the law to allow the acting director to remain in office through the September election, a move today’s report said was “suspicious” and lent support to charges of deliberate politicisation of the broadcaster.The recent changes were made in line with a law, passed by the previous Social Democratic government, the report called “out-of-step with principles on promoting the independence of public broadcasters”. That law should be changed as soon as possible, the report said.The report summarises the findings of a three-day mission to Croatia in June 2016 led by the South East Europe Media Organisation (SEEMO) and including representatives from the European Broadcasting Union (EBU), the European Federation of Journalists (EFJ), the European Centre for Press and Media Freedom (ECPMF), the International Press Institute (IPI) and the Austrian section of Reporters Without Borders (RSF).Among the report’s most troubling findings is a rise in nationalistic and revisionist discourse within Croatia’s public sphere that is also being used to intimidate critical media. Leading public figures, including former HDZ head Tomislav Karamarko, have openly expressed a desire to “get rid” of “leftist” media, while journalists and media houses that fail to demonstrate sufficient “patriotism” are routinely smeared by politicians and others as “traitors”.Members of the mission deplored Croatian leaders’ failure to condemn a January 2016 protest against the country’s electronic media regulator in which demonstrators shouted fascist salutes against the regulator’s president, an ethnic Serb. “This silence speaks volumes,” the report said.Among other things, the report also:• condemned a continued failure by Croatian authorities to fully investigate physical attacks and threats against journalists;• applauded recent reforms to protect journalists from Croatia’s criminal ‘shaming’ law, but continued to urge Parliament to repeal all forms of criminal defamation;• called on the government reconsider moves to withdraw funding for minority-language media and non-profit media;• noted “serious omissions” in monitoring and enforcement regarding legal provisions on transparency of media ownership; and• underscored the need for solidarity among journalist organisations in the face of threats to media freedom and media independence.The delegation previously welcomed comments by President Grabar-Kitarović, made during the June 21-23 mission, in support of safeguarding HRT’s independence as well as repealing the criminal ‘shaming’ provision.Croatia is ranked 63rd out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2016 World Press Freedom Index. to go further June 2, 2021 Find out more Use the Digital Services Act to make democracy prevail over platform interests, RSF tells EU Ten RSF recommendations for the European Union November 23, 2020 Find out more Help by sharing this information CroatiaEurope – Central Asia Activities in the fieldReports and statisticsMedia independence Receive email alerts Reports December 2, 2020 Find out more The Croatian public broadcaster HRT must provide balanced coverage of the campaign leading up to the country’s September 11 parliamentary elections, a group of six prominent international media freedom organisations, including Reporters Without Borders (RSF), say, according to findings from June 2016 media freedom mission to Croatia. Organisation News News Follow the news on Croatia The 6 organisations meet the croatian president Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović /DR September 7, 2016 RSF and 6 organizations find “obvious government interference” at Croatian public broadcaster News
September 29, 2018 /Sports News – Local Richfield’s Hayden Harward Places First At Cedar Invitational Tags: Aspen Workman/Avery Foster/Brianne Beard/Cannon Anderson/Carli Begay/Carson Utley/Cason Southwick/Cody Rivers/Daran Beard/Dustin Bistline/Dylan Bistline/Elena Torgersen/Hannah Steele/Hayden Harward/Jake Church/Jamie Holt/Justin Reidhead/Justus Reitz/Kanab/Keenan Janke/McKenna Alger/Nathan Bowman/Nick Woolsey/Nora Foster/Richfield Cross Country/SeOnna Southwick Brad James Written by FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailCEDAR CITY, Utah-Friday, various Mid-Utah Radio Sports Network school athletes competed at the Cedar High Cross Country Invitational, with Richfield’s Hayden Harward excelling above all of them.In the boys’ 3-mile run, Harward won the individual title, posting a time of 15:14.50, netting his second overall win of the season for the Wildcats.Harward’s contributions helped the Wildcats place 10th overall, with a collective score of 263. Other Wildcats who placed included Nick Woolsey (42nd place, 16:41.70), Justus Reitz (73rd place, 17:37.50), Cody Rivers (93rd place, 18:14.20), Cannon Anderson (94th place, 18:16.00), Carson Utley (101st place, 18:44.50), Cason Southwick (102nd place, 18:47.50), Keenan Janke (104th place, 19:04.80) and Daran Beard (111th place, 20:09.70).Kanab’s boys also excelled, placing 13th overall and netting a score of 410. For the Cowboys, Nathan Bowman finished 89th overall, posting a time of 18:03.60. Other Cowboys to place included Dustin Bistline (91st place, 18:12.70), Dylan Bistline (95th place, 18:19.00), Jake Church (103rd place, 18:56.40) and Justin Reidhead (110th place, 20:09.40).For the girls, Richfield placed 7th overall in the standings with 228 points. SeOnna Southwick was the highest-placing Wildcat, finishing in 36th place (19:56.90). Also placing for the Wildcats were Jamie Holt (45th place, 20:14.50), Nora Foster (57th place, 20:44.70), Avery Foster (64th place, 21:07.60), Aspen Workman (66th place, 21:10.10), McKenna Alger (84th place, 23:00.10), Carli Begay (85th place, 23:09.20), Hannah Steele (86th place, 23:09.60), Elena Torgersen (95th place, 24:38.30) and Brianne Beard (97th place, 24:53.40).
FacebookTwitterCopy LinkEmail We hope that today’s “READERS FORUM” will provoke honest and open dialogue concerning issues that we, as responsible citizens of this community, need to address in a rational and responsible way? WHATS ON YOUR MIND TODAY? WHATS ON YOUR MIND TODAY?Todays“Readers Poll” question is: What well-known individual would you like to see run for Evansville Mayor on the Democratic ticket in 2019?If you would like to advertise on the CCO please contact us [email protected]: City-County Observer Comment Policy. Be kind to people. No personal attacks or harassment will not be tolerated and shall be removed from our site.We understand that sometimes people don’t always agree and discussions may become a little heated. The use of offensive language, insults against commenters will not be tolerated and will be removed from our site.
The software program, called CARVER+Shock, was released on Jun 15 and is available for download on the FDA’s Web site, according to an FDA press release. The software was developed by the FDA’s Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) along with several collaborators, including Sandia National Laboratories, the US Department of Agriculture (USDA) Food Safety and Inspection Service, the Institute of Food Technologists, the National Center for Food Protection and Defense, state officials, and industry representatives. “FDA’s goal in developing the CARVER+Shock software is to maximize protection of the American food supply,” said David Acheson, MD, the FDA’s assistant commissioner for food protection, in the press release. Effect: What measurable losses in production would stem from an attack? Recuperability: How well could a system recover from an attack? “CARVER helps industry think like an attacker so that it can identify any weak spots and put countermeasures into place,” Kautter said. Accessibility: How easily could a terrorist access a target? Jun 15 FDA press releasehttp://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/2007/ucm108934.htm Vulnerability: How easily could an attack be accomplished? The software itself doesn’t pose a security risk because the questions don’t reveal classified company information, Kautter said. However, he added that the assessment results should be considered sensitive information. Recognizability: How easily could a terrorist identify a target? Also, the tool incorporates a seventh attribute, the psychological or “shock” effects of an attack, the FDA statement said. For example, the psychological impact might be greater if a large number of deaths resulted or if the target had special historical or cultural significance. Jun 15 FDA consumer updatehttp://www.fda.gov/consumer/updates/carvershock061107.html Before the CARVER+Shock software was released, food processors relied on face-to-face risk assessments with FDA and/or USDA representatives that typically took 2 to 3 days and required as many as 30 people to answer all the questions, Donald Kautter Jr., acting supervisor of the food defense oversight team at the FDA, said in an FDA consumer report on the new software. Jun 26, 2007 (CIDRAP News) – The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) recently released a new software tool to make it easier and quicker for food industry facilities to assess their risk of attacks involving biological, chemical, or radiological weapons. The computerized assessment generally takes less than a day and requires the participation of a small team from the food facility, the FDA report said. The program takes employees through more than 100 questions about their facilities and processes to identify vulnerable areas and project what type of attack would be the greatest threat. “What we’ve done is taken that face-to-face interaction and put it into a software program so that the questions and discussion are posed by the computer,” Kautter said in the report. “This will give more companies access to the tool.” The software is designed for use by all components of the food industry, from growers to retailers. “CARVER” is an acronym representing risk-assessment attributes that have been adapted from the US military: FDA CARVER+Shock software sitehttp://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm094560.htm See also: The new risk assessment tool is part of the FDA’s broader food protection strategy and follows the 2006 launch of the ALERT initiative, which is designed to raise industry awareness of food defense and preparedness issues, the FDA said. The CARVER+Shock software builds on the awareness by allowing a more formal and detailed risk assessment. Criticality: How would an attack impact public health and the economy?
West Harrison, IN—Friday morning the Dearborn County Sheriff’s Office along with Harrison Fire and EMS were dispatched to Johnson Fork Road in Harrison Township for a single-vehicle crash. Upon arrival, Sheriff’s Deputies learned that a Toyota truck was traveling west on Johnson Fork Road when it left the roadway and crashed into a tree. Harrison EMS transported the driver to Mercy West in Harrison where he was pronounced deceased. The driver and only occupant of the vehicle was identified as Terence Ogg, 60, of West Harrison.
WHILE Darren Bravo will not play for the Trinidad and Tobago Red Force in the Cricket West Indies Regional Super50 tournament, he may yet feature when the competition kicks off at the end of this month.The Leeward Islands Hurricanes have taken the opportunity of a mix-up between the Trinidad and Tobago Cricket Board’s (TTCB) selection panel and Bravo regarding his availability, which ultimately saw the left hander left out of the twin-island republic’s squad for the tournament, to reach out.According to an article, in the Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, a high-ranking Leeward Islands official has said leaving Bravo out of the squad is cruel because it will mean he cannot play for the Windies in upcoming World Cup qualifiers this year.The Trinidad and Tobago Cricket selectors can’t be serious in excluding this man. I don’t care what people are saying in terms of a communication breakdown, this is your best batsman and you treat with him carefully,” the official is quoted as saying.“Knowing now that he is available for selection, they should make every effort to get him on board. Do they understand that by not having this man involved in the Super50 means that he cannot play for the West Indies in ODI cricket this year?” the official questioned?“We will definitely look to have this man in the Leewards set up if the Trinidad board fails to correct this. We need this man playing the regional tournament.“If he comes to the Leewards he will assist our cricket in a big way because he would be able to work with the young batsmen in the team. He will be a major plus for us, so we are looking at the situation from afar and waiting to see what the Trinidad board is going to do.”Should Bravo make the switch to the Hurricanes he will join fellow T&T cricketer Kevon Cooper, who the Leewards have already confirmed.TTCB president, Azim Bassarath, has promised to probe the circumstances that led to Bravo’s exclusion, but has not suggested that a change in the position of the selectors was on the cards.