News Covid-19 in Africa: RSF joins a coalition of civil society organizations to demand the release of imprisoned journalists on the continent SudanAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ViolenceImprisonedFreedom of expression (Crédits : Reuters) Sudan : Press freedom still in transition a year after Omar al-Bashir’s removal March 29, 2020 Find out more After the National Intelligence and Security Service (NISS) arrested 15 journalists, including AFP, Reuters and BBC reporters, as they covered protests against unprecedented bread price hikes this week in Sudan, Reporters Without Borders (RSF) urges the authorities to free those still held and to end all attempts to restrict the freedom to inform. News Coronavirus infects press freedom in Africa to go further Organisation RSF_en April 10, 2020 Find out more January 19, 2018 – Updated on January 24, 2018 RSF condemns arrests of 15 journalists in Sudan At least 13 journalists were arrested by the NISS on 16 January while covering demonstrations called by the Communist Party in Khartoum against the price hikes, according to RSF sources. Most were freed the same day after being held for several hours. They included the BBC’s Mohamed Mohamed Osman, Al-Arabiya TV’s Abdulaziz Ibrahim and the Anadolu news agency’s Behram Abdelmunim.Reuters reporter Khalid Abdel Aziz and AFP reporter Abdel Moneim Abu Idriss were arrested while covering demonstrations held on 17 January in Omdurman, a city just to the northeast of Khartoum, in response to a call from the main opposition party, Umma.“It is clearly arbitrary to be keeping at least eight journalists in detention and we call for their immediate release,” RSF secretary-general Christophe Deloire said. “The authorities have a duty to guarantee the safety of journalists rather than target them.”Eight journalists are still detained. As well as the Reuters and AFP reporters, those still held include Shawky Abdelazim, the publisher of the independent daily Al-Youm Al-Tali, Imtinan El Radi, a reporter for the same newspaper, and Hayder Ahmed Khair Alla of the daily Al-Jareeda. None of them has so far been formally charged. Those detained also include Amal Habani, a reporter for the news website Al-Taghyir who was awarded an Amnesty International prize for her human rights work in Sudan. RSF has covered the harassment, including arrests and sentences, to which she was previously subjected in 2011, 2016 and 2017. According to our sources, she was taken to Omdurman women’s prison on 17 January without being allowed access to a lawyer.The Sudanese Journalists Network has called for the release of the detained journalists and has condemned the order issued on 15 January banning newspaper publishers from reporting anything about the protests and wave of arrests.The issues of the independent daily Al-Jareeda and the Communist Party newspaper Al-Midan were seized on 15 January for covering the price hikes and the protests, as they already were on 7 and 8 January.A United Nations Human Rights Council resolution in March 2014 emphasized the importance of the role that journalists play in covering protestsSudan is ranked in the bottom ten of RSF’s 2017 World Press Freedom Index – 174th out of 180 countries. Help by sharing this information April 6, 2020 Find out more Follow the news on Sudan SudanAfrica Condemning abusesProtecting journalists ViolenceImprisonedFreedom of expression News News Receive email alerts
South Burlington, Vt. (April 29, 2008) The International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers Local 300 will once again sponsor the 74 Racing Teams Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS.The car, driven by 25-year race veteran Jerry Lesage, competes in the Late Model Division at Thunder Road, a renowned short track speedway in Barre. Lesage carries a four-person pit crew that includes IBEW Local 300 member Paul Weston.The 74 Racing Team is very thankful for IBEW Local 300s support, said Weston. I have been a union member for 13 years and am enormously proud to promote our awesome work ethic and the many career opportunities in the electrical trades.Lesages vehicle will be on display May 3 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. as part of the Touch A Truck event at Sand Hill Park in Essex. His points-counting season opener at Thunder Road goes down May 11, with Thursday evening races continuing from June 12 through August.Race fans come from every walk of life and certainly appreciate the monumental contributions of union workers and businesses to our society, said IBEW Local 300 Business Manager George Clain. Just like race car drivers, Local 300 members continually put it all on the line to get the job done safely and efficiently.For a 2008 Thunder Road schedule, visit www.thunderroadspeedbowl.com(link is external).ABOUT THE IBEW LOCAL 300Based in South Burlington, the IBEW Local 300 serves 1,200-plus laborers throughout Vermont. The organization is part of the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW), which is headquartered in Washington, D.C., and represents approximately 750,000 members who work in a wide variety of fields, including utilities, construction, telecommunications, broadcasting, manufacturing, railroads and government. The IBEW has members in both the United States and Canada and stands out among the American unions in the AFL-CIO because of its size and highly skilled constituency.For more information, contact Marketing and Business Development Director Matt Lash at (802) 864-5864, [email protected](link sends e-mail) or www.ibewlocal300.org(link is external).
The State Secretariat has turned down a proposal to use the National Monument (Monas) complex for Indonesia’s first Formula E electric car race, which is to be held in June in Jakarta.Monas is under the supervision of the Medan Merdeka Area Development Steering Committee, which is helmed by State Secretary Pratikno.“The steering committee does not approve the plan for using Monas,” State Secretariat secretary Setya Utama told the press on Wednesday, as quoted by kompas.com.The rejection was based on various reasons, including that Monas is a heritage site, he added.Read also: Is it worth the money? Jakarta walks alone to 2020 Formula E raceSetya said the monument is a historical and cultural landmark for Indonesia and that any heavy modification might pose a risk to its well-being.“[The race] needs a significant modification [of the site], including to put in a certain type of asphalt,” he added.Setya said the committee would soon issue a formal rejection letter to the Jakarta administration.”Regulation mentions clearly which events that Monas can host,” he said.The Jakarta ePrix is scheduled to take place on June 6, joining Seoul in South Korea and London in England. A contract signed in August 2019 says that Jakarta would host the race for five consecutive years.Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan announced the five-year deal in September 2019, saying the event would benefit the capital as it would stimulate infrastructure development.Jakarta’s Formula E hosting has met challenges, apart from the unavailability of Monas.Earlier this year a petition to cancel the Jakarta Formula E was made after the New Year’s Day flooding.Irawan Endro Prasetyo started the petition on Change.org, alleging the Jakarta administration had cut the city’s flood management budget for the sake of hosting the race. Read also: After floods, calls mount to cancel Formula E race in JakartaThe petition, which was addressed to the International Automobile Federation (FIA), Jakarta City Council Speaker Prasetio Edi Marsudi and Anies, says: “We need all available resources to help people and rebuild our city, not to waste them on one event that ridicules the citizens’ sufferings. “Please consider moving this event to another city that is more prepared to host it.” Anies, however, denied the allegation about the budget being cut to fund the race. The Jakarta ePrix is an annual race for the single-seater, electrically powered Formula E championship. It is to be the first FIA-sanctioned race in the country since the A1 GP in 2006. (gis)Topics :
Arsenal in talks to sign £35m Ajax winger David Neres ahead of Manchester United Advertisement Metro Sport ReporterThursday 11 Apr 2019 9:21 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link49Shares David Neresis wanted by Arsenal and Manchester United (Getty Images)Arsenal are in talks to sign Ajax winger David Neres but face competition from Manchester United, according to reports.The 22-year-old has been in sublime form for the Dutch club this season with 12 goals and 15 assists so far, while his latest strike came in the 1-1 draw against Juventus in the Champions League on Wednesday evening.Neres was also rewarded for his fine performances with his first Brazil cap last month and he provided two assists in a 3-1 victory over Czech Republic.The Brazilian has attracted interest from several Premier League clubs, but according to The Daily Telegraph, Arsenal have begun negotiations with Ajax over a potential deal.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTUnited are also interested but have not yet held talks, while Everton have held initial discussions with Ajax, who are understood to want at least £35 million for Neres. Neres has scored 12 goals in all competitions this season (AP Photo)More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityChelsea are keeping tabs on Neres’ progress in the Eredivisie but any move depends on whether they can delay or overturn their transfer ban.Both United and Arsenal are in the market to strengthen the ride side of their attack and Neres typically plays on that side, although he is capable of operating on the opposite flank.Unai Emery, however, is reportedly working with a restricted transfer budget in the summer, although that could be boosted if he secures Champions League football for the Gunners.More: Manchester United FCRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starNew Manchester United signing Facundo Pellistri responds to Edinson Cavani praiseEx-Man Utd coach blasts Ed Woodward for two key transfer errors Comment Advertisement
“They asked me after training whether I’d try to replicate it and thankfully enough I was able to do it. I pulled it off a couple of times and people realised it wasn’t a fluke, which was nice. I did it on my second go,” Roche said. French top-flight side Albi this week confirmed Roche has decided to leave them after a six-month stint, during which she reportedly earned a salary of £650 per month, supplemented by living accommodation provided by her employer. There could soon be far better offers on the table for Roche. FIFA has allowed a public vote to judge the Puskas Award winner, and Roche has been banging the drum for her strike. She and her Bray Wanderers footballer boyfriend Dean Zambra will be in Zurich, with fingers crossed. “I’m quite excited about the ceremony now. I haven’t had much time to think about it over the last few months, I’ve just been doing all I can to promote the goal,” Roche said. She laughs at getting the nod ahead of any strike from Lionel Messi or Cristiano Ronaldo. Roche added: “They’re both fantastic footballers and playing at a higher level than me. But to be chosen ahead of their goals is unbelievable.” Ronaldo, Messi and Germany’s World Cup-winning goalkeeper Manuel Neuer go head to head for the FIFA Ballon d’Or award, which recognises the best player in the men’s game. FIFA Women’s World Player of the Year award will go to Brazil’s Marta, Germany’s Nadine Kessler or American Abby Wambach. The Republic of Ireland women’s international is competing with World Cup goals from Robin van Persie and James Rodriguez for the Puskas Award, named after the great Hungarian Ferenc Puskas. The accolade goes to the scorer of the best goal in a year of world football, with an eligibility period from October 3, 2013 to September 26, 2014 allowing Roche’s spectacular effort for Peamount United against Wexford Youths Women to squeeze in. It came on October 13, 2013, in front of a crowd numbering just 95 at Wexford’s Ferrycarrig Park, where to Roche’s delight the goal was caught on camera. Home coach John Flood brought his video kit to the ground and organised footage that was intended purely for his post-match analysis, but which instead reaped the only recording of a goal now viewed over six million times on YouTube. Roche, 25, was named on a 10-player long-list by football’s world governing body FIFA in November 2014, learning of her nomination first on social media, before making the cut to the elite three in December. It made her the first woman to feature on a Puskas Award final shortlist, and the first player from Ireland. “The first I heard of it was through Twitter,” Roche told Press Association Sport. “I got a tweet from FIFA to say my name was in the top 10 for the Puskas Award and it was a surprise. That’s how it happened – it was nothing too official until I got to the top three and they got in touch with the Football Association of Ireland and made contact with me.” The jaw-dropping moment in Peamount’s green and black colours came when Roche collected a short cross from the right on her right instep, flicked it over bemused defender Laura Heffernan with her other boot and from 25 yards magicked up a left-footed missile of a volley that found the top right corner. To prove the goal was not a once-in-a-lifetime effort, she repeated it on request for French TV cameras, during her time playing for ASPTT Albi. Stephanie Roche has insisted her wonder strike which will be celebrated at Monday’s FIFA Ballon d’Or gala was not a fluke. Press Association
Manchester City manager Manuel Pellegrini is confident he can withstand the growing pressure as his side’s title bid wavers. Pellegrini said: “They are a very good team, not only at this moment – they are always a very difficult team, especially playing at the Britannia. “But we are going to go as we always do when we play away, to try and win the three points from the first minute.” City will be without Yaya Toure and Wilfried Bony, who are yet to return following their success with Ivory Coast at the African Nations Cup in Equatorial Guinea. The absence of Toure has again been keenly felt. City have not won in the league without their talismanic midfielder this season, with Saturday’s last-gasp draw against Hull the sixth such occasion. Pellegrini said: “He is a very important player, and it is very important to have Yaya back and play with the team. But we don’t just depend on one player. We must win without him.” Bony’s arrival will be equally welcomed. City have struggled for goals in recent weeks, particularly from their strikers. Top scorer Sergio Aguero has not found the net in five appearances since returning from a knee injury, Stevan Jovetic last scored on New Year’s Day and Edin Dzeko has been barren since September. Bony, signed last month from Swansea for £25million, has the ability to rejuvenate the attack at a crucial juncture, although Pellegrini will not criticise his current options. The Chilean said: “One thing is not linked with the other. We have Edin Dzeko, we have Jovetic, we have Kun Aguero, we have Silva. We have a lot of players that always score. “Bony will be a very important player for the squad also, but we are not just depending on what Bony can do.” It was anticipated former England midfielder Frank Lampard might have played a more prominent role in Toure’s absence, particularly given the controversy last month over his status with sister club New York City. Lampard, 36, who is now staying with City until the end of the season, has made just four substitute appearances since Toure departed and did not even get off the bench against Hull. Pellegrini said: “Frank is a very important player for us, either starting in the 11 or after as a substitute, so he will continue playing the way I think is useful for the team. “I don’t think he can’t play 90 minutes. When the other teams have played 50 or 60 minutes, I think Frank makes more of a difference. “His best moments of the season came as a substitute and he scores. I hope he continues in the same way.” Pressure is growing on Pellegrini – and one report has even claimed City are monitoring Atletico Madrid’s Diego Simeone as a potential successor – but the Chilean insists he cannot feel it. The 61-year-old, speaking at a press conference to preview Wednesday’s trip to Stoke, said: “I never feel pressure, I have repeated the same answer for the same question for the last two years. “The only pressure is my own pressure that I make myself when I don’t feel the team is playing well. “I think we are in a normal position, we are involved in the Champions League. If we win tomorrow we will have just two points less than (the same stage) last season. “We have a lot of things to think about, more important than pressure. I don’t feel any pressure inside the club or outside.” Despite that, there is a feeling the heat is on as City prepare for a vital midweek trip to the Britannia Stadium. Stoke’s form contrasts with that of City, with the Potters having won six and lost just one of their last nine games. They also won at the Etihad Stadium earlier this season and are unbeaten in their last six home league games against City. Press Association The champions have slipped seven points behind Chelsea at the top of the Barclays Premier League after a dismal run of results. City have not won in five games in all competitions, a sequence which included an FA Cup defeat at the hands of Championship side Middlesbrough.
college spun staff picks week 7Week six of the college football season produced a few big upsets, like Washington over USC and Texas over Oklahoma, along with a few almost-upsets, like Michigan State vs. Rutgers, TCU vs. Kansas State and Florida State vs. Miami (FL). Week seven is shaping up to be the most interesting of the season thus far, however.This week, we’ve got UCLA vs. Stanford, Michigan vs. Michigan State, Alabama vs. Texas A&M, Florida vs. LSU and USC vs. Notre Dame. Currently, Matt Hladik and Dustin Tackett hold a slim lead over the field in our weekly competition. Here are our picks for this weekend’s games:Who do you have?
Twitter/@Qiana_JadeOver the weekend, protests broke out at Missouri following a string of racially charged incidents on campus. A student group called “Concerned Student 1950” called for school president Tim Wolfe to resign due to ineffective leadership in combating the issues, and today he stepped down after an emergency meeting by the school’s Board of Curators.Mizzou President Tim Wolfe resigning right now amid student and faculty protests.— Kate Bolduan (@KateBolduan) November 9, 2015On Friday night, video of Wolfe struggling to answer a question about systematic oppression began to go viral.Oh really @UMPrez this is what you think Systematic oppression is?!? @umcurators @CNN @Oprah pic.twitter.com/eSuOqPfT2b— QianaJade (@Qiana_Jade) November 7, 2015By Saturday night, the Tigers football team boycotted football activities until Wolfe resigned, following the lead of grad student Jonathan Butler, who is currently in a hunger strike in order to oust Wolfe. We hope that this move helps quell the unrest on campus in Columbia.