03 May 2016A South African company was named the best children’s publisher on the continent at the Bologna Children’s Book Fair in Italy.Bumble Books of Noordhoek was among many publishing houses, publishers’ associations and other book institutions that took part in this annual event, which ran from 4 to 7 April 2016.Robin Stuart-Clark, founder and publishing director at Publishing Print Matters and Bumble Books, told radio station Cape Talk that the group had competed against the best children’s publishers across Africa. Countries such as Ghana, Guinea and Benin had been represented.To Stuart-Clark, the award belonged to the group’s illustrators who were doing extraordinary work. “We have nothing to apologise for, we are up there with the best,” he said.Other winnersAndersen Press won the fair’s Children’s Publisher of the Year prize in the European category, according to The Bookseller. The award was for “publishers who have most distinguished themselves for their creative and publishing excellence over the year, showing originality as well as professional and intellectual skills”.There are also awards for Central and South America, North America, Asia and Oceania.According to its website, Publishing Print Matters publishes books on South African art, craft and heritage “with a particular focus on those artists, craftspeople and individuals who have been overlooked yet made an impact on South African culture: they have stories to tell and vision to share that can empower our youth and restore pride in our collective heritage”.Bumble Books is its illustrated children’s book imprint. It showcases new South African illustrators and authors, with an emphasis on fun and entertainment. It publishes illustrated children’s books showcasing new South African illustrator- authors internationally.Guests at the Italian book fair tweeted their enjoyment of the event:Live painting en @BoChildrensBook #BCBF16 pic.twitter.com/Jq3qvOhzNv— Sara Fratini (@sarafratini) April 5, 2016So inspiring to walk around #BCBF16 and see all the worldwide trends for children’s illustration! pic.twitter.com/Qi5ayWlOwS— The Bright Group (@Bright_Group) April 5, 2016South Africa.info reporter
The Naveen Patnaik government launched its own food security scheme on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti on Tuesday, benefiting 25 lakh people who were left out of the National Food Security Act.“On Gandhi Jayanti, launched Odisha’s own food security scheme to benefit 25 lakh vulnerable populace that were excluded from coverage; sufficient and nutritious food is a basic need and prerequisite for a healthy Odisha, as a part of our resolve to eradicate hunger in Odisha,” said Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in a tweet after launching the scheme. The beneficiaries will get 5 kg of rice per person per month at the rate of ₹1 per kg, said the Chief Minister while launching the scheme at four different districts through videoconferencing from the State Secretariat here.The State government will spend ₹443.5 crore per annum to support the scheme and ₹221.75 crore in the current financial year, Mr. Patnaik added.The State government had decided to launch its own food security scheme after the Centre did not respond to its request to add additional beneficiaries under the NFSA.
India’s first “career portal”, addressing the needs of secondary and higher secondary students for information on scholarships and career choices, was launched with the support of United Nations Children’s Fund here on Wednesday. The portal is expected to help the students take “informed decisions” about their academic and professional pursuits.To benefit lakhsMinister of State for Education Govind Singh Dotasra and UNICEF-Rajasthan chief Isabelle Bardem inaugurated the portal, set to benefit about 23 lakh students, at Dr. Radhakrishnan Shiksha Sankul here in the presence of school principals, teachers and senior officials.Mr. Dotasra said the portal would promote employment-oriented education in the State and provide information on 200 vocational and 237 professional careers, 455 employment avenues, 960 scholarships, 955 competitive examinations and 10,000 institutions of higher education to the students from Classes IX to XII.Experts in UNICEF have developed the portal after an assessment of needs, awareness and perspective of students, teachers and system functionaries. Dr. Bardem said the assessment had indicated that most of the boys and girls in the State were keen to join the workforce as soon as they finished Class X or XII. Besides, the assessment revealed a substantial progress in terms of gender equality among the students.“The career portal will serve the needs in the educational stream, enabling the students to choose their career path matching with their aspirations, interest, inclination and aptitude,” Dr. Bardem said, adding that this would reduce dropouts at various stages in schools and improve retention in jobs. UNICEF had selected Rajasthan for launching the portal because of its track record in employment-oriented education, she said.Mr. Dotasra also announced setting up of the Rajiv Gandhi Career Counselling Cell for adolescents and youths on the occasion. The cell will link school and college students with skill development programmes and internship opportunities in the pursuit of their career choices.Career informationUNICEF’s studies in Rajasthan have highlighted that two largest sources of career information for students are teachers and family members. About 69% of students mentioned that they were using Internet for their career-related queries, which indicates that the adolescents will quickly learn to use the career portal.
Church, environmentalists ask DENR to revoke ECC of Quezon province coal plant Trump strips away truth with hunky topless photo tweet Rachel Ann Daquis. Photo by Tristan Tamayo/INQUIRER.netWith her lean 5-foot-10 frame, flawless skin and winsome smile, Rachel Anne Daquis easily catches everyone’s attention. The highly popular open spiker for Cignal in the Philippine Superliga also happens to be a force on the hard court.A champion many times over with Far Eastern University in the UAAP, as well as with Philippine Army and Petron in volleyball’s commercial leagues, Daquis won the Most Valuable Player award in the 2015 PSL All Filipino Cup, which the Blaze Spikers won via 13-0 sweep.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES National Coffee Research Development and Extension Center brews the 2nd National Coffee Education Congress Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss PLAY LIST 02:49Robredo: True leaders perform well despite having ‘uninspiring’ boss02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games View comments Yet, instead of moping, she stepped down from the national team and said she would take a “specialized training course” abroad to help her earn credentials as a future fitness guru.“It was a very difficult decision for me because I have always aspired to represent our country,” Daquis said in a statement. “I am very grateful that you (national coaches) have considered me to be included in the team lineup. But I feel that there are other more capable candidates who can contribute more effectively to the team given the other priorities in my life that I must consider.”That’s Daquis gracefully telling them: If you’re not giving me my rightful place in the grand ball, I’m skipping the party altogether.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next FEU Auditorium’s 70th year celebrated with FEU Theater Guild’s ‘The Dreamweavers’ Lacson: SEA Games fund put in foundation like ‘Napoles case’ Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Hotel says PH coach apologized for ‘kikiam for breakfast’ claim Keeping up with Kobe That may explain the uproar in social media when she was relegated to the reserve list of the Philippine team that will see action in the Southeast Asian Games and the Asian Seniors tournament next month. After all, to paraphrase a classic line from the movie “Dirty Dancing,” “nobody puts Rachel in a corner.”For years, the 29-year-old Daquis painstakingly earned the tag “Face of Philippine volleyball.” During the Singapore SEA Games two years ago, giant posters bearing her image—she was an endorser for a top sports manufacturing company— adorned big malls around the Lion City’s OCBC Arena.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSSEA Games: Biñan football stadium stands out in preparedness, completionSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSWin or don’t eat: the Philippines’ poverty-driven, world-beating pool starsDaquis has represented the country in international tournaments since 2011 and was part of the pioneering PSL-Manila squad that played in the FIVB World Clubs Championships in 2016.Fast-forward to last May’s AVC Asian Club Championship in Kazakhstan, where Daquis served as team captain of Philippine representative Rebisco-PSL and played the part well. She was on top of everything, from the team’s airport check-ins, to the daily bus rides, to the team bull sessions. Ethel Booba on hotel’s clarification that ‘kikiam’ is ‘chicken sausage’: ‘Kung di pa pansinin, baka isipin nila ok lang’ El Nido residents told to vacate beach homes MOST READ Over breakfast at Shiny River Hotel in Ust-Kamenogorsk, head coach Francis Vicente, worried sick by the bashing the national team was receiving in social media, tried to lighten the mood of the girls. After five matches in five days the team still could not buy a win against stronger clubs.“Hey, girls, have you said hello to your bashers this morning?” Vicente asked his players.Daquis offered a reply for the team in Filipino: “No coach. We have stopped checking [our social media accounts]. All we know is that we’re all very pretty!”Her remark brought the house down and conveyed the correct attitude the team, including Vicente himself, took to ward off online critics.So after Daquis was unceremoniously cut from the national team’s final roster by the coaching staff, supposedly in favor of younger and stronger open hitters, the news stunned her legions of fans, probably more than Daquis herself.ADVERTISEMENT