PENSIONER (87) TAKES ON DEVELOPERS IN BITTER DISPUTE OVER DONEGAL BEACH

first_imgPeople protest in Carrigart over the alleged closure of their right-of-way.A 87-year-old woman is leading an increasingly bitter dispute with developers after she claimed she was denied access through a right of way to her land.Frail pensioner Patricia Coyle is furious over the erection and locking of security gates on an access road at Aghadachor shore front near Carrigart.More than 100 local people came out this week to support Mrs Coyle who says she is being denied access to 33 acres of her land by a development company building a Beach Activity Centre. The company involved in putting ‘security measures’ in place at Aghadachor, T&G Properties however has insisted that no right of way has ever been blocked. This is disputed by local people.A spokesman for the developers said: “The promoters have at no time denied access to local people and have no intention of privatising the Beach which in fact forms an integral part of the project and following completion of the construction all facilities including the Beach will be open to the public.”However walkers and athletes claim they have ‘been told to f*** off from the site’ and told they were trespassers.The company also denied this. Mrs Coyle, from Glenree, checked out of hospital to attend a public meeting on the row.The Tirconail Tribune reports the right of way provides access to sand dunes: the beach front and to farmland apart from a major construction development now underway to build a beach activity centre overlooking Sheephaven Bay some three miles from Carrigart on the Creeslough road.Five local politicians spoke at the meeting and they included Deputy Joe McHugh: Senator Brian O’Domhnaill and Cllrs. Ian McGarvey, Noel McBride and Liam Blaney.One local man, Tony McCarry said the heavily gated laneway was a ‘right of way’ and it once was the main road from Creeslough into Carrigart.The controversy involves the community who claim a ‘right of way’ access to The Inner Beach, lands and beyond to the Sandyhills dunes and T&G Properties who stand accused of erecting two locked security gates on the laneway at the entrance to where they are constructing a holiday activity centre with further plans to include, sports hall, an 18 hole pitch and putt course and a golf driving range. A development of 27 holiday villas have already been built as part of the €5M investment.Work has been ongoing ever since it was cleared for planning by Donegal County Council in September last year.The local community welcomed the development and potential job opportunities but with some reservations. These concerns were clearly amplified at the public meeting with locals pointing out that there had been ‘interference’ with the shorefront below the high tide mark.Again this has been officially denied. But now that original welcome has turned colder as the community has a huge gripe with the extent of the work: their concerns about the right of way and access to this particular beach.“I am not against development, but it must be in harmony with the wishes of the community. People’s rights should not be obstructed and I find this particular situation regrettable,” said Cllr Ian McGarvey.Cllr Liam Blaney said the right of way was originally the old county road and as such people had the right of access, regardless of developments.Deputy Joe McHugh said it was obvious to him that everyone involved needs to start talking to each other. He said that there is a serious need for dialogue and the facts must be established.“We need to progress from this meeting here today in a constructive manner and the public representatives are there to ensure that your rights are recognised,” he added.The general tenor of the crowd, while good humoured was nevertheless one of a steely determination that their beloved right of way stays exactly as it is.T&G said: “In response to a meeting which took place on site on Sunday 29th September 2013 at Cuan Na Rí Ocean Front Resort, Aghadachor, Carrigart, Co Donegal we wish to comment as follows:- The entire site is the location of extensive construction works and is subject to Statutory Regulations regarding Health & Safety and Insurance Covers which include controlled access to same during the construction phase.“The project covers approximately 180 acres of tourism related lands. new Beach Activity Centre, Sports Hall, Bar & Restaurant, Tennis Courts, Games Areas, Childrens Playground, Pitch & Putt Course and Associated Activities, Beach Promenade & Boardwalk. It also includes 27no. new Self Catering Holiday Villas.“The promoters have at no time denied access to local people and have no intention of privatising the Beach which in fact forms an integral part of the project and following completion of the construction all facilities including the Beach will be open to the public. The works are all being carried out with the approval of and to the satisfaction of Donegal County Council and National Park & Wildlife Service.”PENSIONER (87) TAKES ON DEVELOPERS IN BITTER DISPUTE OVER DONEGAL BEACH was last modified: October 3rd, 2013 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Carrigartprotestright-of-waylast_img read more

Research continues to address Lake Erie woes

first_imgShare Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest Ohio Sea Grant, on behalf of The Ohio State University, The University of Toledo and the Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE), has released the third-year research findings update for the statewide Harmful Algal Bloom Research Initiative (HABRI), which seeks solutions for harmful algal blooms in Ohio.The initiative consists of more than 50 science teams working on different critical knowledge gaps identified by front-line state agencies that include the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency (OEPA), Ohio Department of Agriculture (ODA), Ohio Department of Health (ODH), and Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR).The third-year report reveals that the state of Ohio continues to benefit from the initiative:Early warning systems and forecasts of bloom size and location are giving water treatment plants a high-resolution picture of what could be affecting the drinking water they draw from Lake Erie.Researchers are working directly with water treatment plant operators to provide practical guidance about producing safe drinking water for cities and towns dealing with algal toxins.OEPA modified its permit procedure to better safeguard Ohioans when HABRI projects showed that crops might take in microcystins from water treatment residuals used on farm fields. New HABRI research is now helping OEPA refine the methods they use to analyze these byproducts of water treatment and better assess exposure risk.OEPA sought out HABRI researchers to help develop a Lake Erie open water impairment listing policy and HABRI projects have helped collect data critical for refinement of this indicator. OEPA listed the open waters of the western Lake Erie basin as impaired based on NOAA data and have plans to update it based on HABRI researchers’ recommendations.ODNR has changed the way that information is collected on algal toxin concentrations in sportfish fillets, sampling more frequently during the harmful algal bloom season and from a wider range of Lake Erie locations to better understand how harmful algal blooms affect sportfish.HABRI has driven information sharing and priority setting between universities and agencies, positioning Ohio to better prevent and manage future crises through ongoing collaborations.“Having the collaboration with our sister agencies to coordinate research priorities and funding is critically important,” said Craig Butler, director of the Ohio Environmental Protection Agency. “Likewise, having, through HABRI, a consortium of university experts to take our priorities and quickly do critical, practical research, with conclusions that we can immediately use to inform policy and the public, is invaluable.”HABRI is funded by the Ohio Department of Higher Education, with $7.5 million made available for four rounds of research funding (before matching funds by participating universities) since 2015. Ohio Sea Grant manages the projects, which also include a $500,000 match from OEPA in 2018. Results from the most recent 21 funded projects are expected in 2020.“Colleges and universities around Ohio are making positive contributions to our state each and every day,” said ODHE Chancellor John Carey. “The Harmful Algal Bloom Research Initiative is a model of collaborative problem-solving that we should strive to replicate wherever possible. I am so encouraged to see how our higher education assets are being used, alongside other state and local partners, to address real issues that are facing Ohioans.”HABRI comprises 54 expert research teams from Bowling Green State University, Central State University, Defiance College, Heidelberg University, Kent State University, Sinclair Community College, the University of Akron, the University of Cincinnati, and consortium leaders The University of Toledo and The Ohio State University.last_img read more

11 security personnel injured in IED blast in Jharkhand

first_imgEleven personnel of the CRPF and the State police were injured in an IED blast triggered by Naxals in Jharkhand’s Seraikela Kharsawan district in the early hours of Tuesday, officials said.The blast took place around 5 a.m. when a joint team of the CRPF’s special jungle warfare unit, Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA), and the State police was carrying out an operation in the forests of Kuchai area in the district, they said.According to officials, the improvised explosive device (IED) is suspected to have been buried under the dirt track. The injured troops, eight of the CoBRA and rest belonging to the State police, have been airlifted to Ranchi, they said.The joint team was being led by the 209th battalion of the CoBRA of the CRPF deployed in the State for anti-Naxal operations, officials said.last_img read more

3 get prison in college basketball recruiting scandal

first_imgTrump campaign, GOP groups attack Google’s new ad policy P2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. Lacson backs proposal to elect president and vice president in tandem MOST READ Hong Kong tunnel reopens, campus siege nears end View comments PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss Former Adidas executive James Gatto, business manager Christian Dawkins and Merl Code, a former Adidas consultant, were convicted in October of conspiracy to commit wire fraud for funneling illegal payments to families of recruits to Louisville, Kansas and North Carolina State.Gatto, 48, of Wilsonville, Oregon, got nine months in prison; Dawkins, 26, of Atlanta, and Code, 45, of Greer, South Carolina, got six months each. Code and Dawkins were each also ordered to pay $28,261 in restitution to the University of Louisville.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine ‍football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption chargesThe judge said each can remain free until a federal appeals court decides whether to uphold their convictions.Prosecutors say coaches teamed with Gatto and others to trade hundreds of thousands of dollars in bribes to influence star athletes’ choice of schools, shoe sponsors, agents and even tailors. 1 dead, 3 injured in Quezon road crash Warriors draft first woman player into NBA 2K esports league Kaplan recommended all three men serve their sentences at minimum security prisons.Tony Bland, a former Southern California assistant coach; ex-Arizona assistant coach Emanuel “Book” Richardson; and former Oklahoma State assistant coach Lamont Evans are awaiting sentencing. Former Auburn assistant coach Chuck Person, who pleaded not guilty, is scheduled for trial in June.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting This combo of images shows, from left, amateur basketball league director Merl Code, Former Adidas executive James Gatto, and business manager Christian Dawkins. The three men were sentenced Tuesday, March 5, 2019, in the widespread college basketball recruiting scandal that has tainted two dozen schools. Gatto got nine months in prison. Dawkins and Code got six months each. (AP Photo/Bebeto Mathews, left, Seth Wenig, center and right)NEW YORK — A former Adidas executive and two others who paid families to persuade top college basketball recruits to play for schools sponsored by the shoe brand were sentenced to prison Tuesday by a judge who said he wanted to send a “great big warning light to the basketball world.”U.S. District Judge Lewis A. Kaplan said he had to balance the need for a stern message with the realization that others who did similar crimes were not prosecuted in a widespread college basketball recruiting scandal that has tainted two dozen schools.ADVERTISEMENT NCAA President Mark Emmert has said an independent enforcement body to adjudicate major infractions cases could be in place by August.Kaplan said leniency for the defendants, who faced as much as three years in prison under federal sentencing guidelines, could only go so far.“These defendants all knew what they were doing was wrong,” he said.The judge added that he wanted to send “a great big warning light to the basketball world.”“I deeply regret my actions,” Gatto said in a shaky voice.ADVERTISEMENT LATEST STORIES P2.5 B shabu seized in Makati sting, Chinese national nabbed Dawkins referenced “social dysfunction” in college basketball and said his actions were “clouded” by a “system that takes advantage of kids.”“I realize now more than ever none of this was worth it,” Dawkins said.Code, a former Amateur Athletic Union coach, said he also regretted his actions but added: “Some things really got to be changed about college basketball.”The judge acknowledged none of the defendants “took home a nickel” from the scheme, but said it was wrong to say there was no economic motive because each defendant’s career stood to benefit.Kaplan said all the harm could not be measured in dollars, citing testimony by the father of Brian Bowen Jr., once one of America’s bright high school basketball stars who seemed destined for the NBA until it was revealed that his father was to be paid $100,000 so his son would go to Louisville.The judge recalled that the father cried as he testified that he had wrecked his son’s life. The younger Bowen now plays basketball in Australia.Kaplan also cited the playing at trial of a recorded conversation between Code and Dawkins in which the men discussed giving Louisville basketball coaches “plausible deniability” about the scheme.“I’ll never forget that,” Kaplan said. “They were making sure Rick Pitino’s tracks were being covered.”Pitino was fired by Louisville after arrests were made in 2017 in the corruption investigation. He has denied wrongdoing.In a release, Deputy U.S. Attorney Robert Khuzami said the sentences “only begin to reflect the magnitude of the harm these defendants caused through a scheme that not only defrauded multiple public universities but upended the lives of young student-athletes and corrupted a game cherished by so many.”last_img read more

Olympiakos Gives Mitroglou 1M Euros

first_imgWith their prize striker being eyed by English Premier League clubs, the Greek soccer team Olympiakos kept star striker Kostas Mitroglou in the fold – by increasing his contract from 600,000 euros ($820,000) to one million euros ($1.37 million) that should keep him with the team for several more years.Mitroglou, 25, is the star of the national team as well and has become a hot prospect with his scoring ability in a sport where they aren’t many. He has scored 21 goals this year for Olympiakos and Greece.He had an eight million euros ($10.94 million) release clause but the new contract has no ceiling which means the team could demand an exorbitant amount from other clubs if they want to sign him away.Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal, all with deep pockets were all chasing Mitroglou, who has become a fan favorite with his flamboyant style and tatooed personage. The contract extension is for one year and takes him into 2017 if he stays.“I’m really happy that I renew once again with the team that belongs in my heart,” said Mitroglou, Eurosport reported.“I want to thank the club and the President Vangelis Marinakis who have always believed in me even at times when my career was not progressing as I dreamed. I will give everything in training and in matches to try and make our fans happy,” he said.“Olympiakos is a family and we all struggle for the red and white. We are all proud of this team and we will give everything to produce more glory the club,” he added.Olympiakos is atop the Greek Super League with a big 10-point advantage over teams scrambling to catch up and prevent the Reds from winning a fourth consecutive regular season title.It has also made the final 16 of the European Champions League against perennial powerhouse Manchester United.TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Drake releases short film Please Forgive Me in which he attempts to

first_img Login/Register With: Advertisement Advertisement Twitter LEAVE A REPLY Cancel replyLog in to leave a comment center_img With acting roots like Degrassi, you’d think Drake (a.k.a. “Wheelchair Jimmy”) would have no problem playing an action star in a new short film. Well … not so fast.Please Forgive Me, now on Apple Music, is the second video to be released from Views, after Child’s Play. The indulgent 21-minute film follows Drake as he lets his girlfriend (played by Belgian model Fanny Neguesha) agree to spend a night with a shady millionaire in exchange for $1 million (à la Indecent Proposal).#PleaseForgiveMe — A Film Inspired by The Album Views. Available now only on @AppleMusic. https://t.co/dkMNmzF2T2 pic.twitter.com/UPMxZ10IM3— Drizzy (@Drake) September 26, 2016 Facebook Advertisementlast_img read more