Five security personnel including a CRPF officer were killed in an encounter with militants on Friday in Kupwara district of Jammu and Kashmir while a civilian died in clashes near the site, officials said.Security forces launched a cordon and search operation in Babagund area of Kupwara following information about presence of militants there, the officials said. During the searches, the militants opened fire on the security forces, who retaliated.There was lull in firing several times during the day but militants would resume firing as soon as the security forces advanced towards the house where the ultras were hiding, the officials said.Three security force personnel have been killed in the exchange of fire, they said adding the operation was on when reports last came in. Four persons were also injured in clashes between a group of youngsters and security personnel near the encounter site, the officials said.
Eleven personnel of the CRPF and the State police were injured in an IED blast triggered by Naxals in Jharkhand’s Seraikela Kharsawan district in the early hours of Tuesday, officials said.The blast took place around 5 a.m. when a joint team of the CRPF’s special jungle warfare unit, Commando Battalion for Resolute Action (CoBRA), and the State police was carrying out an operation in the forests of Kuchai area in the district, they said.According to officials, the improvised explosive device (IED) is suspected to have been buried under the dirt track. The injured troops, eight of the CoBRA and rest belonging to the State police, have been airlifted to Ranchi, they said.The joint team was being led by the 209th battalion of the CoBRA of the CRPF deployed in the State for anti-Naxal operations, officials said.
Amid the ongoing controversy over the appointment of six Minister-rank advisers to Chief Minister Amarinder Singh, the Punjab government on Thursday decided to bring in an ordinance to exclude adviser (political and planning) from the ambit of the Punjab State Legislature (Prevention of Disqualification) Act, 1952.The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting held at Dera Baba Nanak that was presided over by the Chief Minister.No disqualificationAn official statement said the ordinance will amend the law to add these posts to the list of posts that are not considered office of profit for the purpose of disqualification of MLAs. With the amendment, these MLAs will not be disqualified.The Punjab State Legislature (Prevention of Disqualification) Act, 1952, had been enacted in terms of Article 191 of the Constitution, to declare certain offices of profit as not disqualifying the holders of such office from being members of the State legislature.“Enacted in 1952, the Act has undergone minor amendments from time to time. However, such amendments have not taken into account the complexity of modern day governance. Further, these amendments to the said Act have not taken into account the reports and studies of various parliamentary committees which addressed the issue of office of profit. Therefore, the Cabinet felt the need to amend Section 2 of the Punjab State Legislature (Prevention of Disqualification) Act, 1952,” said the statement.The Cabinet also authorised the Punjab Governor to approve and recommend the draft ordinance for promulgation, said the statement.Six advisersThe Punjab government had earlier this month appointed six Minister-rank advisers to the Chief Minister. Five Congress MLAs were given the status of Cabinet Ministers while the sixth was given the rank and status of a Minister of State.
GENEVA — Sepp Blatter and Michel Platini lost their appeals Nov. 18 against interim 90-day bans for financial wrongdoing in the growing corruption scandal that has shaken world soccer.Platini’s lawyer said FIFA had “perverted its own rules,” and taken more than two weeks to notify him of a FIFA appeals committee verdict that was dated Nov. 3 — further stalling the former France great’s FIFA Presidential bid.“It’s crystal clear that this staggering delay is the result of an instrumentation aiming at holding back Michel Platini,” Paris-based lawyer Thibaud d’Ales told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.The provisional ban stops Platini from working as UEFA president and halts his candidacy for the FIFA election on Feb. 26. Blatter is also barred from his FIFA presidential office.Blatter’s American lawyer said the FIFA head was “disappointed” by the ruling, and called the lost time in publishing the ruling “inexplicable.”“President Blatter is committed to clearing his name and hopes this inexplicable delay is not an effort to deny him, during his elected term, a fair hearing before a neutral body,” Richard Cullen said in a statement.The rejection of their legal challenges was expected from the appeals panel — chaired by Larry Mussenden, the former attorney general of Bermuda — which rarely overturns judgments by FIFA judicial bodies.Platini and Blatter will now file further appeals to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, where appellants can choose one of the three lawyers to judge their case.Platini will contact CAS by Nov. 20 and has “absolute confidence” in the Swiss court, lawyer d’Ales told the AP.“For the first time since he was suspended he knows that he will be treated in a completely independent and fair way,” d’Ales said.Blatter “looks forward to the opportunity to be heard, including through the presentation of evidence and argument of counsel, and thereby demonstrate he has engaged in no misconduct,” Cullen said.The bans were imposed last month by FIFA’s ethics committee pending full investigations into a $2 million payment Blatter approved for Platini in 2011 as backdated salary. Platini was employed by Blatter as a Presidential adviser from 1998-2002.Both men deny wrongdoing, though they have acknowledged there was no written contract for the extra salary.Blatter and Platini are expected to appear before FIFA ethics judge Joachim Eckert in December and face lengthy bans if misconduct is found proven.Switzerland’s Attorney General has opened criminal proceedings against Blatter for suspected criminal mismanagement of FIFA money, over Platini’s $2 million and the undervalued sale of Caribbean TV rights for the World Cup.Swiss federal authorities also questioned Platini at FIFA headquarters on Sept. 25 and are treating him as “between a witness and an accused person,” according to the attorney general Michael Lauber.Platini is among six men competing to succeed his former mentor Blatter as FIFA President.While the other five candidates — including UEFA General Secretary Gianni Infantino — have passed integrity checks overseen by FIFA’s election committee, Platini’s vetting process is on hold until his ethics case is resolved.He faces a ban of at least several years if the FIFA ethics court finds him guilty of conflicts of interest and breaching the terms of his suspension. Whatever sanctions Eckert applies can also be appealed to CAS.Blatter could face an ethics charge of falsifying FIFA accounts if the $2 million did not appear in the financial accounts during the nine-year gap between Platini’s employment and payment.___By Graham Dunbar, AP Sports Writer. AP Sports Writers Samuel Petrequin and Jerome Pugmire in Paris contributed TweetPinShare0 Shares