Punjab Chief Minister Amarinder Singh said on Monday that culprits of the Bargari sacrilege case and the subsequent incidents of police firing at Behbal Kalan and Kotkapura in 2015 will not be spared.“The special investigation team is on its job of investigating Bargari and other incidents but under the law, I cannot interfere in its functioning. The SIT is fully cognisant of the sensitivity and urgency of the matter and would not delay its investigations,” said Capt. Amarinder here at a press conference.Asked if he was supporting the radicals to get control of the Shiromani Gurdwara Parbandhak Committee, the Chief Minister said that he had never had any links with such groups. He said that he would support any moderate group of Sikhs to get control of the SGPC as he wanted “the Badals” (former Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal and his son and Shiromani Akali Dal president Sukhbir Badal) out of it. “They have ruined the gurdwaras,” he alleged.In response to another question, the Chief Minister said Pakistan’s Inter-Services Intelligence had been active in Punjab for long, possibly through Kashmiri students. However, he clarified that every student from Kashmir was not a militant and the police had so far not established any links of the recently arrested students with locals.On the issue of stubble burning, the Chief Minister said the situation could aggravate once harvesting is complete. “While my sympathies are with the farmers, the government is bound by law to take action against those indulging in burning of paddy straw,”’ he added.Capt. Amarinder said his government would wait till the end of the month before taking any decision on fuel prices, as international prices of oil were fluctuating.
The Board of Control for Cricket in India’s (BCCI) defiance over the last couple of months hasn’t gone down well with the Lodha Committee, which has been appointed to oversee the implementation of the Supreme Court order.The Lodha committee will meet in New Delhi on Monday and will discuss a range of issues and where all has the BCCI faltered as far as implementation of the reforms are concerned. The BCCI was to submit a compliance report to the Lodha committee by September 10 but the Board has missed the deadline. To make matters worse, the Board went ahead with its Annual General Meeting (AGM) last week and took some decisions which seem to be in violation of the Supreme Court order. (Also read: Kapil Dev, Sunil Gavaskar feel some Lodha panel recommendations are harsh)The Lodha panel, which came up with the recommendations before the Supreme Court to bring reforms in the BCCI, has not revealed its plans on whether they will report the reported violations to the Supreme Court.The BCCI, after the AGM, issued a statement that all the decisions taken at the AGM are subject to the orders of the Supreme Court.However, there is still uncertainty prevailing in the power corridors of the BCCI. The Supreme Court, in its order, had made it clear that the national selection committee should have three members. But the BCCI went ahead with its tradition of five selectors and appointed a new committee headed by former India wicketkeeper MSK Prasad. (Also read: Ravi Shastri blasts Lodha panel recommendations)advertisementThe next one week could well be a crucial one for the BCCI with the Lodha committee meeting on Monday and the Board has convened a Special General Body meeting on Friday.Lodha panel is expected to take some tough calls on Monday and could well report the progress or failure in implementing the reforms to the Supreme Court. Depending on what Lodha committee decides to do on Monday, the BCCI’s SGM will become equally important.Failure in implementing the reforms will draw contempt of court for the BCCI and a number of top office-bearers could well be in the dock. (Also read: BCCI refuses to blink in fight with Lodha panel, names five-member selection committee)For now, all eyes will be on the meeting among the Lodha Committee members on Monday and decisions it comes up with.
college spun staff picks week 7Week six of the college football season produced a few big upsets, like Washington over USC and Texas over Oklahoma, along with a few almost-upsets, like Michigan State vs. Rutgers, TCU vs. Kansas State and Florida State vs. Miami (FL). Week seven is shaping up to be the most interesting of the season thus far, however.This week, we’ve got UCLA vs. Stanford, Michigan vs. Michigan State, Alabama vs. Texas A&M, Florida vs. LSU and USC vs. Notre Dame. Currently, Matt Hladik and Dustin Tackett hold a slim lead over the field in our weekly competition. Here are our picks for this weekend’s games:Who do you have?
Twitter/@Qiana_JadeOver the weekend, protests broke out at Missouri following a string of racially charged incidents on campus. A student group called “Concerned Student 1950” called for school president Tim Wolfe to resign due to ineffective leadership in combating the issues, and today he stepped down after an emergency meeting by the school’s Board of Curators.Mizzou President Tim Wolfe resigning right now amid student and faculty protests.— Kate Bolduan (@KateBolduan) November 9, 2015On Friday night, video of Wolfe struggling to answer a question about systematic oppression began to go viral.Oh really @UMPrez this is what you think Systematic oppression is?!? @umcurators @CNN @Oprah pic.twitter.com/eSuOqPfT2b— QianaJade (@Qiana_Jade) November 7, 2015By Saturday night, the Tigers football team boycotted football activities until Wolfe resigned, following the lead of grad student Jonathan Butler, who is currently in a hunger strike in order to oust Wolfe. We hope that this move helps quell the unrest on campus in Columbia.
OTTAWA – Justin Trudeau hit the reset button on his government’s controversial small-business tax reforms Monday but the awkward spectacle of the prime minister sidelining his finance minister, along with mushrooming questions about Bill Morneau’s personal financial arrangements, suggests the political crisis roiling Liberal ranks isn’t over just yet.Indeed, the controversy has morphed into a test of credibility for Morneau, Trudeau’s most important minister, the architect of the Liberals’ economic agenda and the chief salesman for the tax reforms.At a news conference to announce that the government will belatedly honour its promise to cut the small business tax rate to nine per cent, reporters asked as many questions about why Morneau hasn’t put his substantial assets in a blind trust as they did about the tax measures.Trudeau didn’t help matters by initially insisting on fielding questions directed specifically to Morneau, who stood by watching while the prime minister defended his beleaguered minister’s ethics.“You have to ask a question of me first because you get a chance to talk to the prime minister,” Trudeau told one reporter before finally allowing Morneau to explain that he has followed “to the letter” the recommendations of ethics commissioner Mary Dawson for dealing with his assets and avoiding any conflict of interest.The uncomfortable news conference prompted New Democrat MP Nathan Cullen to wonder aloud if Trudeau “is starting to lose confidence in his finance minister.”“Certainly many Canadians are,” Cullen said.“The rollout of this small business tax plan has been so badly botched, I think we’d agree that both the message saying to many small business owners you’re tax cheats and also the messenger in this case — somebody who is so inherently conflicted, and I’d suggest maybe legally conflicted — is causing a lot of problems for both the prime minister, his Liberal caucus and for this finance (minister).”In the House of Commons, opposition parties zeroed in on the lack of a blind trust, plus last week’s revelation that Morneau failed to disclose a private company that owns a family villa in France, to cast further doubt on his credibility.Conservative MP Peter Kent said “this extremely wealthy minister” seems to believe “he is above conflict of interest and ethics reporting rules.” His party’s House leader, Candice Bergen, went even further, accusing the finance minister of becoming “so arrogant and so entitled that he actually thinks he is above the law.”Cullen sarcastically attributed the multiple controversies surrounding Morneau to forgetfulness.“He forgot that cutting small business taxes was a promise that he ran on, he forgot he owned a luxury villa in France, but, hey, what middle-class Canadian hasn’t? He also forgot to tell us that his vast wealth was not, in fact, in a blind trust and he only comes clean when he is in a world of trouble.”As for the reviving the promise to cut the small business tax rate, which Morneau shelved in his first budget, Cullen dismissed that as damage control in the face of the angry backlash that greeted the small business tax reform proposals from doctors, lawyers, accountants, shop keepers, premiers and even some Liberal backbenchers.“When Liberals have totally screwed up a small business tax plan, when they have attacked small businesses while ignoring their wealthy friends, when they are backed so deep into a corner they have nowhere else to go, then and only then will Liberals honour their commitments to Canadians.”Opposition MPs also kept up a barrage of questions about a now-withdrawn Canada Revenue Agency notice that employee discounts will henceforth be considered taxable benefits. While Morneau was not involved in that fiasco and the government has insisted it has no plans to tax the discounts given to retail sector workers, ongoing confusion over what other discounts might be taxable gave opposition parties more ammunition to question the credibility of the government as a whole and its claim to be a champion of the middle class.Business groups, who’ve bitterly denounced the tax reform plans, were more charitable about Monday’s partial climb-down, welcoming the reduction in the small business tax rate and the promise of changes to the proposed reforms to be unveiled later in the week.“It’s certainly an awful lot better than it was only a few short hours ago,” said Dan Kelly, president of the Canadian Federation of Independent Business.Nevertheless, Kelly added that the business community will want to see the details of the changes and have tax experts analyse them before giving a thumbs up. There’s been “a bit of a trust erosion with the government” which makes the business community “a bit shy to react,” he said.“We really need to make sure that what the government’s intentions are is actually the case when we study the proposals in detail,” he said.“There’s no question it took a knock, it did affect the trust the business community has with government and with the ministry of finance, and it’s going to take a little bit of time for that to come back. But I think it can come back if the government is sincere and taking some new approaches.”Perrin Beatty, president of the Canadian Chamber of Commerce, said the government appears to be doing “a dance of the seven veils” with its changes to the tax reform proposals and it’s not until all the details are known that its impact can be judged.“At this point, everybody’s from Missouri. They want to see something that’s concrete,” he said.Beatty said part of the problem with the original proposals was that the government understated the impact, essentially telling business people, “‘Don’t worry, be happy’ and what we heard from all the tax practitioners across the country was, ‘Worry.’”
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. – The North Peace Regional Airport welcomed a special visitor on Thursday, September 5, to Fort St. John.As part of an expedition celebrating the 100th anniversary of the Royal Air Force, a newly restored British Silver Spitfire fighter plane from the Second World War landed in Fort St. John.The Mk IX Spitfire is being flown by British Pilots and is en route to Alaska after having left Britain five weeks ago. As of Friday, the Spitfire is 6,450 miles into its 27,000-mile four-month expedition of flying around the world.According to expedition organizers, the Spitfire is a British single-seat fighter aircraft that was built in 1943 and was used by the Royal Air Force and many other Allied countries before, during and after World War II.To follow the Spitfire’s expedition, you can visit silverspitfire.com.
New Delhi: President Ram Nath Kovind, Vice President M. Venkaiah Naidu, Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Congress President Rahul Gandhi on Thursday greeted the nation on the occasion of Holi.”Greetings and best wishes to fellow citizens in India and abroad on the auspicious occasion of Holi,” tweeted Kovind, who had also released a statement on Wednesday.”The festival of colours, Holi is a celebration of spring and fraternity in our society. May it bring peace, joy and prosperity to everyone’s lives,” Kovind said. Also Read – India gets first tranche of Swiss bank a/c detailsNaidu tweeted that Holi was a celebration of the victory of good over evil and a festival that expresses joy, camaraderie and conviviality.Modi also extended greetings to the nation on the occasion of Holi and said that the festival of joy and gaiety would strengthen the colour of unity and goodwill.Extending wishes, Rahul Gandhi said: “Wishing you and your family a very Happy Holi. I pray to God that this festival brings colours to your life.”
Kolkata: Central Forces will be deployed in 98.8 percent of the booths in the fourth phase of the seven phase Lok Sabha elections, where poll will be held in eight constituencies spreading over five districts on Monday.Poll will be held in Berhampur (Murshidabad), Krishnanagar, Ranaghat (Nadia), Burdwan East, Burdwan-Durgapur, Asansol (Burdwan West) and Bolpur and Birbhum (Birbhum). Over one crore voters will exercise their franchise on Monday. The Election Commission of India has taken elaborate measures to ensure free and fair polls in the eight constituencies. Chief Election Commissioner Sudip Jain has recently held a video conference with the CEO and election observers and taken a stock of the situation. 561 companies of Central Forces will be deployed on Monday. There will be 88 Quick Response Teams under the Central Forces. In Asansol, there will be Central Forces in all booths along with Birbhum and Bolpur. In Asansol, 87 companies of Central Forces will be deployed. There will be 15,277 polling booths spread over 9,803 premises. In Bolpur, there will be web casting facility in 300 booths. In Krishnanagar, there will be Central Force deployment in 97 percent booths. It may be recalled that in the 2014 Lok Sabha elections, Trinamool had established its control over six of the eight seats. At Berhampur in Murshidabad and Asansol in Burdwan West, Adhir Chowdhury of Congress and Babul Supriyo of BJP had been elected. Chowdhury is set to face his one-time aide Apurba Sarkar who recently joined Trinamool Congress in Monday’s poll, while Babul Supriyo will face Moon Moon Sen, the Trinamool Congress MP who was elected from the Bankura Lok Sabha seat in 2014. Political experts feel that in both the Berhampur and Asansol seats, there will be a tough fight for the winners of the 2014 election. If Trinamool Congress can win the Berhampur seat, it will be a major victory for Suvendu Adhikari who is looking after Murshidabad district. In the Panchayat election held in 2018, Trinamool had bagged the Zilla Parishad. In Krishnanagar, Trinamool has fielded Mahua Moitra, the party’s MLA from Karimpur whereas in the Ranaghat (SC) seat, Trinamool has fielded Rupali Biswas, widow of Satyajit Biswas, the former Krishnagunj MLA who was murdered in February. In Burdwan East and Burdwan Durgapur, Trinamool has retained two sitting MPs, namely Sunil Mondol and Mumtaz Sanghamita. In the Bolpur (SC) seat, the party has fielded Asit Mal while Satabdi Roy, the sitting MP, is contesting from the Birbhum seat.
Colombo: Schools in Sri Lanka resumed classes on Monday with few students arriving in classrooms, two weeks after the devastating Easter Sunday bombings forced the authorities to close the educational institutions. Amid tight security, the classes commenced for mid-to-upper stream (grades 6 to 13) and will be followed by lower grades (1 to 5) on May 13. “The second academic term for school children in grade 6 and above classes, commenced today (Monday). The three armed forces, police, civil security officers, parents and old boys gathered at their respective schools to provide protection,” News 1ST channel reported. Also Read – Saudi Crown Prince Salman ‘snubbed’ Pak PM Imran, recalled his private jet from US: ReportNine suicide bombers, including a woman, carried out a series of devastating blasts that tore through three churches and three luxury hotels on April 21, killing 253 people and injuring over 500 others. Following the attack, the authorities closed the schools until further notice. Despite the tight security arrangements, most classrooms were near empty. Private schools, including Catholic institutions, remained closed. The attendance of teachers was also low, the report said. Also Read – Iraq military admits ‘excessive force’ used in deadly protestsAn extensive security programme has been implemented in schools. Special circulars have been issued by the Education Ministry about the security of the schools. Children will have to carry transparent or see-through school bags, lunch boxes and water bottles. Parking vehicles near schools have been completely banned. Separate places have been prepared to park school vans, buses. Special search operations will also be conducted from Sunday in schools. The Islamic State terror group claimed the attacks, but the government blamed local Islamist extremist group National Thowheeth Jamaath (NTJ). Sri Lanka banned the NTJ and arrested over 100 people in connection with the blasts. Sri Lanka has imposed a state of emergency since the attacks and given sweeping powers to soldiers and police to arrest and detain suspects for long periods.
Latest on gas tax repeal effort and its impact on other primary elections KUSI Newsroom 00:00 00:00 spaceplay / pause qunload | stop ffullscreenshift + ←→slower / faster ↑↓volume mmute ←→seek . seek to previous 12… 6 seek to 10%, 20% … 60% XColor SettingsAaAaAaAaTextBackgroundOpacity SettingsTextOpaqueSemi-TransparentBackgroundSemi-TransparentOpaqueTransparentFont SettingsSize||TypeSerif MonospaceSerifSans Serif MonospaceSans SerifCasualCursiveSmallCapsResetSave SettingsWith last night’s primary behind us, we are now seeing the large impact the recent car and gas tax is having on voters and how the issue is influencing other races as well.KUSI’s Logan Byrnes has more on what we can expect leading up to the November election. June 6, 2018 Posted: June 6, 2018 KUSI Newsroom, Categories: Local San Diego News Tags: Decision 2018 FacebookTwitter