Roy Hodgson has postponed the announcement of his squad for the Euro 2016 qualifiers with San Marino and Switzerland due to the number of decisions which still need to be made.The announcement had been scheduled to take place on Tuesday afternoon, but Hodgson will instead reveal his chosen players on August 30.Hodgson said: “After meeting with my coaching staff today we have decided to wait until this Sunday before announcing the squad to face San Marino and Switzerland.“We have a large of number of players that still need confirming regarding availability and fitness so rather than selecting a larger squad now, we will wait for the games at the weekend before choosing around 23 players who are definitely available.”England play in San Marino on September 5 and face Switzerland at Wembley on September 8. 1 Roy Hodgson
Jonathan Walters 1 Stoke have rejected a bid from Norwich City for Jonathan Walters.The versatile forward has a year left on his contract at the Britannia Stadium and talks over a new deal have not progressed.That prompted the Canaries to launch a £1.5million move for the 31-year-old ahead of the two teams’ clash at Carrow Road on Saturday.But that offer was rejected out of hand by Stoke, with Mark Hughes viewing the Republic of Ireland international as a key member of his squad.Hughes has made a host of new signings this summer but Walters remains crucial to his plans.The former Ipswich man has played in both of the Potters’ Premier League games this season and Norwich’s interest could see contract talks with Walters stepped up.
What the managers have said:Switzerland manager Vladimir Petkovic: “We’re not really thinking too much about our 5-2 defeat by France at the World Cup two years ago. We’re certainly not looking for revenge. We’re focusing on the present – that’s all that counts.”France manager Didier Deschamps: “I could rotate things. All my players are available, but there are a number of different criteria to consider. I have to pick a team to make sure we secure top spot. That’s our aim.”Confirmed team news:Switzerland XI: Sommer, Lichtsteiner, Schar, Djourou, Rodriguez, Behrami, Xhaka, Shaqiri, Dzemaili, Mehmedi, EmboloSubstitutes: Hitz, Moubandje, Elvedi, von Bergen, Lang, Frei, Seferovic, Zakaria, Fernandes, Tarashaj, Derdiyok, BurkiFrance XI: Lloris, Sagna, Rami, Koscielny, Evra, Sissoko, Cabaye, Pogba, Coman, Gignac, GriezmannSubstitutes: Mandanda, Jallet, Kante, Payet, Giroud, Martial, Schneiderlin, Mangala, Matuidi, Digne, Umtiti, Costil Euro 2016: Every Goal, Every Game, Every Day on talkSPORTFrance are hoping to secure a first place finish in Group A with only a point needed from their clash against Switzerland.The two teams face off at the Stade Pierre-Mauroy in Lille at 8pm, with the Swiss also aware they can claim top spot with a win over the hosts.The omens are not good though, as in five competitive meetings against the French, La Nati have never claimed a victory.France currently have recorded two wins, with late goals securing six points against Romania and Albania, whilst the Swiss beat the latter, but could only draw 1-1 with Tricolorii.LIVE on talkSPORT: Switzerland v France – click here for commentary from the Stade Veldrome, at 5pm (BST) on June 18, 2016Here’s how Group A looks ahead of their meeting:? Euro 2016: Every Goal, Every Game, Every Day on talkSPORT 2 2
ACTON – They hoped this would be a victory for Vasquez High School. The wish was that the students’ campus of modular buildings would soon be replaced with permanent structures. They hoped the financial woes were behind them. But last week, the Acton-Agua Dulce Unified School District discovered that there were more hurdles to come. The rural school district doesn’t meet all the requirements for the $13 million in financial hardship funding that it wants from the state to build the high school. Now district officials must decide what to do next. “What makes me so angry about this is that once again, based on red tape and policies, who ends up paying for it? The kids,” said Melissa Harnett, school board president. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORE‘Mame,’ ‘Hello, Dolly!’ composer Jerry Herman dies at 88 Most school districts make their cases for financial hardship after putting themselves in substantial debt, passing a bond and still needing more money, said Matt Bender, spokesman for the state Department of General Services, which oversees the Office of Public School Construction. After learning the news, the district removed its appeal for hardship funding in a March 21 letter to the State Allocation Board, because it didn’t have the support from the board’s members. In the letter, Interim Superintendent John Hutak wrote that the school board will ask for community support of a local general obligation bond on the November ballot. He added that the district would return to its appeal position for hardship funding if the bond passes. Hutak did not return several phone calls last week seeking comment nor did the district supply a copy of the March 21 letter despite a request from the Daily News. However, the State Allocation Board did comply with the request, as the letter is public record. Whether the board will decide to place a school construction bond on the November ballot remains to be seen. Members will discuss the appeal, funding options and the direction they want to pursue at the next school board meeting in April. Meanwhile, some are having a hard time digesting the news that after months of work toward the appeal, that there are still more obstacles to overcome – especially the challenge of getting a bond passed. Voters have killed the past three bond measures the board has put on the ballot. The region has a large retirement community that has lobbied hard in the past against the measures. Other residents also voted against the bonds out of frustration with previous school board members. But Harnett hopes that the community’s confidence in this board is growing and that residents are seeing changes in the school system, such as Meadowlark Elementary School’s recognition this year as a California Distinguished School. But the board doesn’t know whether that’s enough to sway residents with the November ballot just months away, if they do agree to go for the bond. “It takes time to change the continuum,” Harnett said. “I think we’re doing that, but it’s only just begun.” Member Ron Bird said the district doesn’t have to pursue a bond for the hardship funding and could look for other funding mechanisms. “If Bill Gates gave $10 million for the purpose of building buildings, we could use that money,” he said. “But the most logical way is passing a bond.” Sue Doyle, (661) 257-5254 email@example.com 160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!
Niall in the county coloursST EUNAN’S player Niall O’Donnell has been voted the Minor player of the year in this year’s Ulster provincial tournament.The online vote was organised by tournament hosts, Belfast club St Paul’s,St Eunan’s lost out to Crossmaglen Rangers in the showpiece final after a brilliant run through the tournament. In the online vote, Niall was voted the best player across Ulster at Minor level. ST EUNAN’S STAR NIALL VOTED ULSTER’S TOP MINOR FOOTBALLER was last modified: January 3rd, 2016 by John2Share this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:St EunansSt Paul’s GAC Belfast
BIG PRESENTS UP TOP The Three Lions played 690 minutes of football in Russia, before being knocked out by beaten finalists Croatia.Henderson played for 482 of these and England were never trailing while he was on the pitch.They played 208 minutes without Henderson, and were losing for 136 minutes in his absence. Debates raged up and down the country over whether this was in fact the right decision or not, but the former Middlesbrough man stuck to his guns.Eight players were duly rested, and England suffered a 1-0 defeat.Before the team sheet was even officially submitted, I wrote an article declaring this Southgate’s first mistake in Russia.The reason for this, is because Jordan Henderson (one of the eight to be rested in Kaliningrad) has transformed into England’s most important player. gameday cracker impact What every Premier League club’s fans dream of this Christmas Every time Ally McCoist lost it on air in 2019, including funny XI reactions He missed both games against Belgium, and was withdrawn before the end of the Sweden and Croatia clashes with a groin strain.It is testament to the 28-year-old’s resilience and diligence that people were calling for Eric Dier to be played ahead of the Liverpool skipper before the tournament.But the high standards he sets for himself clearly have an impact on his teammates – like any captain should do. silverware Southgate trusts Henderson as the lone holding midfielder in his adventurous Three Lions team latest 2 It was a fourth place finish for England, but it could have been so much better Every Championship club’s best signing of the decade, including Taarabt and Dack Top Football News Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT Before England’s final Group G World Cup clash against Belgium, it was rumoured Gareth Southgate was planning on making numerous changes to his side.The Three Lions had just qualified for the knockout stages after beating Tunisia and thrashing Panama, and Southgate wanted to rest players. The average first-team salaries at every Premier League club in 2019 revealed 2 Liverpool news live: Klopp reveals when Minamino will play and issues injury update England’s most successful clubs of the past decade, according to trophies won BEST OF ALTERED Tottenham predicted XI to face Brighton with Mourinho expected to make big changes
Cloughaneely’s hugely successful Indoor Band Competition was an amazing spectacle of colour and sound and proved that the marching band tradition is alive and well in Donegal. Indeed, if the fantastic display of music from youth, senior and reformed bands is anything to go by, it will go from strength to strength in the coming years.The inaugural event was organised and hosted by the Cloughaneely Junior Band at Ostan Loch Altan, Gortahork on Sunday last. It was intended to be a day of celebration and give bands an opportunity to perform their music on stage without the element of drill.Laura Barrett says: ‘in recent years, there hasn’t been as many competitions during the marching band season and its great to give our members the experience of performing their music in competition. Our band members loved watching all the other bands. They were all fantastic and it was great for our members to hear eight other great marching bands we have in Donegal’.Eunice Downey Judge Presents Marion Mc Grenra leader of Buion Cheoil Sinsear Chloich Cheann Fhaola. Senior Misc WinnersOpening the competition were the Meenderry Reunion Band led by Patrick McGinley. In 2007, the band was formed for a school reunion and enjoyed marching together again so much, they decided to reform a band and play at local events and festivals. They were a brilliant opener to the days competition and put together a great programme of old Irish tunes.There were many highlights to choose from. Families, committee and teachers proudly looked on as each band entertained the packed ballroom. One of the youngest bands in the competition, Maghery Junior Band had members ranging from 6-13 years of age and it was amazing to see the talent from children so young and their pride in playing tunes such as ‘The Harp’ from a strong fife and drum tradition in the Rosses.One of the largest bands in attendance, The Dungloe Senior Band, filled the stage and raised the roof with their stirring version of ‘Mary from Dungloe’ .They are just back from marching in the St.Patricks Day Parade in New York and they performed a programme packed with tunes that undoubtedly entertained many on the day. Cloughaneely Senior Band displayed a lovely mix of instruments such as flutes, tin-whistles, accordions and percussion. They performed an updated version of their All-Ireland Fleadh winning programme from 2017. Too many of their members, it was a reminder of the great indoor competitions held in the Guild Hall, Derry during the 90’s.It was even a chance to catch up with old friends from marching band days gone by. Bass drummer in the Letterkenny Senior Accordion Band was known by some members in Cloughaneely Senior Band as being involved in other bands previously. As they joked to each other ‘are you still marching about!!’.It was evident that music skills are easily carried through the years while Letterkenny Senior Accordion Band scooped the Best Drum Core prize of the competition. Led by musical director Donna Harkin, who was entertainment alone for her superb conducting skills, the band thrilled the audiences with an Abba Medley and a rousing rendition of ‘Ireland’s Call’ to conclude their programme.Eunice Downey Judge Presents Teresa O Brien leader Letterkenny Senior Accordion Band Reformed section winnersEunice Downey Judge Presents Tony Duffy Letterkenny Senior accordion Band with the prize of Best Drum Core on the day.There was even some singing along from the audience to the band tunes. Killybegs Accordion Band were a crowd favourite performing tunes such as ‘I Want You Back’ and a medley of popular hits. It was no surprise to learn that they have received the honour of playing at the Ireland vs USA match in Aviva Stadium this weekend and will represent the Donegal Marching Band tradition with pride. It was great to see Buncrana Town Band competing once again, as it was their first competition in over three years. Encouraged by a supportive committee, the young band members performed a lovely traditional programme and are building their membership up once again.For Keadue Band, it was the first time they have ever taken part in a competition. Little would the audience have guessed as the young band did a great job and performed their tunes with confidence and to such a high standard on their first outing.Eunice Downey Judge presents Keadue Fife and Drum Band Junior Flute WinnersCloughaneely Junior Band were complimented by many on their smiles and clear enjoyment of their music making. Playing a variety of tunes from traditional to contemporary, they delighted the audience and finished the competition in style.Judges for the competition were musical director Eunice Downey and assistant musical director Sorcha Downey of Mayobridge Band, in Co-Down.To conclude the days events, Eunice spoke passionately about her love of marching bands and encouraging her own children and band members in attendance to enjoy playing their music and keep practising. She spoke about how important it is that bands stick together and referred to the bond that binds all bands members to form lasting friendships through the years. In the end, there had to be winners and it was evident that choosing between the bands wasn’t an easy task. However, the atmosphere throughout the day was one of support and celebration of every band’s performance.It is hoped that this will be an annual competition that will build and attract more bands to compete in the years to come. This will, in turn, encourage and promote the Donegal Marching Band tradition and bring enjoyment to members and the many audiences in the years to come.Eunice Downey Judge Presents Marion Mc Grenra leader of Buion Cheoil Sinsear Chloich Cheann Fhaola. Senior Misc WinnersResults:Junior Accordion/Miscellaneous: Banna Cheoil Chloich Cheann FhaolaJunior Flute: Keadue BandSenior Accordion/Miscellaneous: Buion Cheoil Sinsear Chloich Cheann FhaolaReformed Bands: Letterkenny Senior Accordion BandBest Drum Core: Letterkenny Senior Accordion BandBest Drum Major: Banna Cheoil Chloich Cheann FhaolaBest Overall Band: Banna Cheoil Chloich Cheann Fhaola Musical highlights from Cloughaneely’s first Indoor Marching Band Competition was last modified: May 29th, 2018 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)Tags:Cloughaneely Inaugural Marching Band Competition
Basketball has been an integral part of my life. Over a long and fortunate career, I’ve had the opportunity to play at St. John’s University, twice in the U.S. Olympics, and in the NBA with the Golden State Warriors and Indiana Pacers. My time on the court eventually led to other opportunities on the sidelines, including becoming the Warriors vice president and general manager and most recently returning to St. John’s as the head coach for the men’s basketball team.Over the years, I had the …
[vemba-video id=”van/sc/2019/04/25/bang_10da0ac9-5857-44a7-9ed3-34ce70a479f2″]What was expected to be an easy close-out game was anything but for the Golden State Warriors.After losing 129-121 to the Los Angeles Clippers, coach Steve Kerr blamed the upset on a lack of defensive intensity. He said Clippers players Patrick Beverley and Danilo Gallinari came out to play while the Warriors didn’t put out the effort needed to win.One of the other problems for the Warriors was an off night from …
13 October 2010 For the second time, South Africa has won a non-permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council. The country will push for international peace and the African agenda during its two-year term. South Africa received 182 votes in the 192-member UN General Assembly in New York on Tuesday. The country last served on the UN Security Council in 2007/08. The UN General Assembly also elected Germany, India, and Colombia to two-year seats on the council, commencing 1 January 2011. Canada and Portugal went to a second round of voting. Each non-permanent country sits on the council for two years alongside the permanent powers – Britain, China, France, Russia and the United States – who have the right to veto any council resolution. “If elected to the UN Security Council, South Africa will be guided by its commitment to multilateralism, advancement of the African agenda and the peaceful resolution of conflicts,” the Department of International Relations and Co-operation said on Monday. South Africa surprised many, and outraged some, during its first term on the council, when it joined Russia and China in voting against a Security Council resolution on human rights issues in Myanmar. In a recent interview with the SABC, International Relations Minister Maite Nkoana-Mashabane acknowledged that they should have communicated better during that experience. She said the country had now gained international experience. Source: BuaNews