Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
The dismantling and recycling of the Costa Concordia cruise ship, one of the most important green ship recycling projects ever carried out in Europe, has been finalized in Genoa, according to the Ship Recycling Consortium.The project was concluded by Italian shipyard San Giorgio del Porto, in partnership with Saipem, less than three years after the ship wreck arrived in Genoa in July 2014.Up to 350 workers were involved since the start of the dismantling operation which lasted around 1 million effective work hours.Total recycled material amounted to over 53,000 tons for almost 4,000 trips to recycling facilities in Italy, while the dismantled material amounted to 8,000 tons with over 850 trips to dismantling facilities.At the beginning of September 2016, the cruise ship’s wreck departed on its final voyage when it sailed to Genoa’s dry dock. The vessel was stripped bare as its internal fitting was removed and its decks were cut after it was moved from its grounding place off the Island of Giglio to the Port of Genoa in 2014.The Concordia incident, which occurred in January 2012, took the lives of 32 people out of a total of 4,252 who were aboard the ship at the time. The grounding of the cruise ship was believed to had been caused by the captain’s recklessness, as the ship came too close to the Giglio island where it got stuck and later collapsed.
Ford’s new car will force you to obey the speed limitThe car Manufacturer, Ford is introducing what it calls Intelligent Speed Limiter technology on its newest edition of its S-Max cars.This is obviously for those people who are speed demons who can’t keep their gas pedals off the metal:The technology enhances the vehicle’s cruise control capabilities with cameras that are able to recognize posted speed limits.The driver can specify a top speed to ensure they’re never accidentally speeding, but when the system is switched on it uses a dashboard-mounted camera to keep an eye on road signs with posted speed limits to automatically increase or decrease the vehicle’s allowed top speed accordinglyIf the vehicle happens to exceed the set speed limit, like when picking up speed driving down a hill, an audible warning alarm is triggered and the vehicle’s engine stops getting fuel until it slows down enough.It’s a smoother response than automatically slamming on the brakes which can be jarring to the passengers and other vehicles on the road.At any time the driver can override the system by just tapping the accelerator, but at that point they’ll have to deal with the stresses of ensuring they’re not speeding.“The system does not apply the brakes but smoothly controls engine torque by electronically adjusting the amount of fuel delivered,” the company said in a press release.The technology seems to be a step in the direction of the driverless car, also known as an autonomous car.
Two more accesspoints will be installed and operational within the year, he added. BACOLODCity – TheDepartment of Information and Communications Technology (DICT) is preparing toset up a free wireless internet service within the provincial capitolbuilding and lagoon here. DICT-NegrosOccidental Romeo Tome said the first access point has already been installedinside the building as of Monday. PHOTO BY NEGROS OCCIDENTAL On Oct. 24, theDICT-Negros Occidental launched the free WiFi live site in its provincialoffice along Aguinaldo Street, which is within the vicinity of the ProvincialCapitol and other government offices. Up next in theprovince are nine other municipalities, including E.B. Magalona, Pulupandan,Ilog, Murcia, Candoni, Moises Padilla, La Castellana, Hinigaran, andBinalbagan. One accesspoint located inside the Capitol compound will serve the provincial governmentoffices and their clients while another one will have an effectivity rangecovering the lagoon premises. Thesocio-economic activities get a boost because of easy and faster internetconnection, he added. Republic Act10929, or the “Free Internet Access in Public Places Act”, mainly aims topromote knowledge-building among citizens and enabling them to participate inthe evolving information and communication age. Tome saidapplicants for clearance in the nearby office of the National Bureau ofInvestigation-Bacolod also benefit from the free WiFi access. In NegrosOccidental, the free Wi-Fi first went live in San Enrique town in early Octoberas part of the government’s “Free WiFi for All” program, which also coversfirst to sixth class municipalities. “We are lookingat faster and more efficient delivery of government services once the free WiFiaccess starts,” Tome said, noting that if the internet connectivity increases,the gross domestic product growth of an area also increases. The lawprovides for free internet at access points, such as national and localgovernment offices, public basic education institutions, state universities andcolleges, technology institutions, public hospitals, health centers, ruralhealth units, public parks, plazas, libraries, barangay reading centers, publicairports and seaports, and public transport terminals. (Witha report from PNA/PN)
Loading… Read Also: Barcelona not ready to discuss Messi departure Later on Saturday Leeds announced that Freiburg defender Robin Koch had completed a move to Elland Road. The 24-year-old Germany international, who has joined for an undisclosed fee, has signed a four-year deal. Leeds finished 10 points clear at the top of the Championship last season, securing their return to the top flight for the first time since 2004. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 He previously spent the 2010/11 season on loan at Bolton, then in the Premier League. Rodrigo was born in Brazil but is a Spain international and has 22 caps and eight goals. He scored 10 goals for club and country in 38 games last season, including the winner in Valencia’s 1-0 Champions League win at Chelsea in September. Leeds confirmed they had signed Spain international Rodrigo from Valencia for a club-record fee on Saturday. The forward has penned a four-year deal at Elland Road, reportedly costing the Premier League newcomers around £30 million ($40 million). The 29-year-old said he was excited to join the club and was looking forward to working with Marcelo Bielsa, whom he described as one of the best coaches in football. “It’s a new step in my career and I want to help the team to achieve the goals of the season,” he told the club’s Twitter account. “Leeds have been working for two weeks on this deal with Valencia — we knew Valencia have some problems now as we didn’t achieve the Champions League. “Since the first time Victor (Orta, director of football) talked to me I knew I wanted this new challenge with Leeds.” Rodrigo, who can operate as a winger or striker, spent time at Celta Vigo and Real Madrid as a young player before moving to Benfica. He joined Valencia in 2014, initially on loan, scoring 59 goals in 220 appearances. Promoted ContentWhat Happens When You Eat Eggs Every Single Day?Top 10 Most Romantic Nations In The World7 Black Hole Facts That Will Change Your View Of The Universe8 Things To Expect If An Asteroid Hits Our Planet2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearThailand’s 10 Most Iconic Landmarks5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks7 Truly Incredible Facts About Black HolesBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable Way7 Facts About Black Holes That Will Blow Your Mind7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The World
A veteran of 18 years in the IMCA Modified division, Josh McGaha earned his career-first Razor Chassis Southern Central Region crown this season. (Photo by Mandi Faulks)ABILENE Texas – Josh McGaha stayed close to home and stayed consistent throughout the 2018 race season.As a result, he’ll be looking for the best place to show off the Razor Chassis South Central Region championship hardware.The veteran of 18 IMCA Modified seasons won seven features and counted nine second-place showings in just 36 starts, winning the track championship at his hometown Abilene Speedway for the fifth time along with his career first regional crown.“It just kind of happened,” McGaha said of the regional quest. “My kids (Gavin, 13, and Jaxon, 8) were playing baseball so I hung around town more than I have the past couple years. That opened the door for me to race for the region.”“It’s an awesome feeling to have won it,” he continued. “I’ve been close before but it never unfolded the way we needed it to. This is definitely a milestone in my career.”The Modified is the only division of race car McGaha has competed in. He began racing against the likes of Henry Witt Jr. shortly after turning 16 and owns 82 career feature wins after ending 11th in this year’s national points race.McGaha won five of 19 starts at Abilene and traveled to six other venues in Texas and one in Oklahoma over the course of the season.He was fifth in the inaugural Red River Modified Tour, leading all 25 laps in topping the $1,000 to win Fast Shafts All-Star Invitational ballot qualifying event at 281 Speedway.“We’d won the Friday before at Heart O’ Texas Speedway when they had more than 40 cars and there were more than 70 cars at Stephenville,” McGaha said. “Wins on nights like those, and at Abilene when my family was there and joined me in victory lane were special.”McGaha’s statistics show 28 top five finishes in 36 starts. His closest competition for the regional championship came from national rookie of the year and 11-time feature winner Jeffrey Abbey.“We were real consistent. We ended up with quite a few races at Abilene and we had a ton of second place finishes, which paid off for us at the end,” he said. “This is such a wide region – it‘s humongous down here. People have taken note that we’re the regional champion and we’re proud of it. It shows how much the work we’ve done over the years has paid off.”Wins-7 Top Five Finishes-28 Starts-36HIS CREW: Wife Mandi and Cody Upfold.HIS SPONSORS: A City Speed, Fletcher’s Custom Engines and All Pro Clutch & Driveline, all of Abilene; Dirt Defender of Red Oak; Stephenville Starter and Electric of Stephenville; Dave Leech Construction of San Angelo; and Rowdy C Racing Specialties of Sweetwater.
Batesville Incident Report (3)Decatur County EMS Report (3)Decatur County Incident Report (5)Decatur County Jail Arrest Report (4)
ELLSWORTH — Hancock County high school seniors qualified for Penobscot Valley Conference All-Academic swim and indoor track teams.Members must have completed seven semesters with a GPA of 90 percent or better.The following local athletes were recognized for their academic success:EllsworthThis is placeholder textThis is placeholder textSwim: Talor Hamilton, Jessica Cohen and Katherine Walton.Indoor track: Tim Curts, Rachel Bunker, Ashley King and Courtney Wasson.George Stevens AcademySwim: Alexy Prokopov and Karina Steenberg.BucksportIndoor track: Natalie Coleman and Mavis Taungatu’a.Mount Desert IslandSwim: Kirstin DiMauro, Peirce DiMauro and Kristoph Naggert.Indoor track: Delia Hallett.
LINDENERS will get the chance to see their international standout athletes, Daniel Williams and Chantoba Bright perform in the community this weekend, when they represent Upper Demerara at the Kares Engineering Inc. Boyce and Jefford Track and Field Classic VIII set for the Mackenzie Sports Club ground.The two athletes among others, representing the Upper Demerara Club under coach Johnny Gravesande, will be performing on the biggest stage at home since their rise to international stardom after winning several medals.The athletes have never performed against Guyana’s best senior athletes in Linden since gaining acclaimed medals at varying regional and international meets. The Linden community is eager to see its star athletes on show at home against Guyana’s best athletes.Daniel WilliamsWilliams is an International Association of Athletics Federation (IAAF) World Junior silver medallist, which he claimed in Kenya recently. Apart from that, Williams has silver medals from the South American Youth and Junior Championships on separate occasions.He would have also had a CARIFTA Games silver medal had he not stepped on the line in the race, which forced a disqualification. Williams showed huge character when he rebounded from that misfortune to ascend to being the second best junior quarter-miler in the world.Lindeners will have their opportunity to see this outstanding athlete against some of the country’s best on home soil for the first time since his global ranking. Williams is expected to compete in the International Men’s 200m and the 400m at the Boyce and Jefford Classic this weekend.He will have a stern test from the Police and Army, who are registered in full force for the events with their top athletes, including Davin Fraser, Akeem Stewart. However, Williams has proved to be a strong competitor under pressure.In addition, jumps ace Bright has emerged as a top candidate in the International Women’s Long Jump and the Triple Jump events in Guyana. Her performances internationally have so far landed her four CARIFTA Games medals – one gold, two silver and bronze.Bright also has medals from the South American Junior Championships and was the other athlete on the two-member team to Kenya. Linden gets the opportunity to see Bright attempt to shine among her senior counterparts.With scholarship offers at colleges in the United States on the table for both athletes, it could be the last time they perform at home at a mega meet. What is certain is that they, among others, are expected to hold their own at the MSC ground this weekend.The Boyce and Jefford Track and Field Classic VIII is sponsored by Kares Engineering Inc., Ansa McAl under its Lucozade and STAG Beer brands, National Sports Commission, Guyana Tourism Authority, Red Wing Shoes at VSH United, R&D Engineering, Mohammed’s Enterprise and K&B Mining.
July 10, 2020 — Josh Dubow reporting.___The Red Sox and Blue Jays will play two exhibition games at Fenway Park before baseball’s delayed regular-season opener.Toronto will visit Boston on July 21 and 22 before heading down to Tampa Bay for its opener. The Red Sox are scheduled to open at home against the Baltimore Orioles on July 24.___ ___Atlantic Coast Conference commissioner John Swofford says the league expects to make its decision on fall sports in “late July.”The league put out Swofford’s statement Friday afternoon, saying the league has prepared “numerous scenarios” for fall competition over the last few months. The decision would come from the league’s board of directors.Earlier this week, the ACC delayed the start of fall competition until at least Sept. 1. That move impacts non-revenue programs like soccer, volleyball, field hockey and cross country, but not football for now. The first football game involving a league team is North Carolina State’s trip to Louisville on Sept. 2.___ The White Sox believe they are poised for a turnaround after seven straight losing seasons. But losing Kopech for the season and Moncada for at least a little while are big blows.Both players had been absent since the White Sox resumed workouts last week for the first time since Major League Baseball shut down camps in March.The team had said Kopech was dealing with a personal issue.“We recognize that reaching this decision is incredibly difficult for any competitive athlete, and our organization is understanding and supportive,” general manager Rick Hahn said in a statement. “We will work with Michael to assure his development continues throughout 2020, and we look forward to welcoming him back into our clubhouse for the 2021 season.”The 24-year-old right-hander is coming back from Tommy John surgery in September 2018. He hit triple-digits on the radar gun during his first spring training appearance. Share This StoryFacebookTwitteremailPrintLinkedinRedditThe Latest on the effects of the coronavirus outbreak on sports around the world:___Chicago White Sox prized pitching prospect Michael Kopech has opted not to play this season. The team also said star third baseman Yoán Moncada and pitcher Jose Ruiz were placed on the 10-day injure list because of unspecified ailments. Associated Press The Latest: White Sox pitching prospect Kopech not playing All those found to have come into contact with the infected players will be asked to self-quarantine for at least 14 days and are unable to participate in daily sports functions in that time.___San Francisco Giants star catcher Buster Posey is the latest big-name player to skip this season because of concerns over the coronavirus pandemic.Posey announced his decision on Friday. He says his family finalized the adoption of identical twin girls this week. The babies were born prematurely and Posey said after consultations with his wife and doctor he decided to opt out of the season. Posey had missed three practices while dealing with a personal issue.Posey joins other big-name players like Dodgers pitcher David Price, Washington first baseman Ryan Zimmerman, Colorado’s Ian Desmond and Arizonna pitcher Mike Leake in deciding not to take part in the 60-game season this year. Virginia says two football players have tested positive for COVID-19 and will self-isolate for at least 10 days, along with other members of the program found to have come into close contact with them.The school says 110 players were tested when the player returned to campus beginning July 5 for voluntary workouts. The players were all tested before the workout began, the school says. It adds that none of the players that tested positive have required hospitalization.The tests were administered by UVA athletics sports medicine.The players with positive test results will self-isolate for 10 days, or until they have been fever-free for at least three days, whichever is longer. They also will undergo cardiac screening before they are permitted to join daily sports functions.The school did not indicate how many others were determined through contact tracing to have come into close contact with the players infected. It also did not indicate whether any coaches or other football staff have tested positive for the novel coronavirus. Kopech was optioned to Triple-A Charlotte on March 26 and likely would have opened the year in the minors had the season started on time.Kopech was acquired by Chicago in the December 2016 trade that sent Chris Sale to the Boston Red Sox. He made his big league debut in 2018, going 1-1 with a 5.02 ERA in four starts.Moncada set career highs by hitting .315 with 25 homers and 79 RBIs in a breakthrough season last year.___The University of Michigan says two athletes tested positive during a second round of COVID-19 testing, bringing the total to four out of the 375 who have been tested. The school says none of the 139 staff members have tested positive. More AP sports: https://apnews.com/apf-sports and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports